## Position Description
Are you interested in working in the field of hypersonics and reentry systems?
Do you enjoy solving challenging problems with a diverse team of engineers?
If so, we are seeking an engineer to help us perform trade studies, performance assessments, and conceptual design studies of reentry systems. As a member of the team, you will help guide analysis and participate in the integration and testing of reentry systems
**As an Aerospace/Mechanical Engineer â€¦**
* You will conduct engineering analysis, design, and performance of reentry bodies
* You will lead trade studies on various reentry systems
* You will participate in test and evaluation activities to include test operations and pre/post flight evaluations
* You will collaborate with cross-discipline teams to advise government and industry partners on engineering challenges and design trades
* You will produce reports and presentations to communicate findings to team members and government partners
**You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if youâ€¦**
* Have a B.S. in aerospace, mechanical engineering or a related technical discipline
* Have knowledge and/or experience of aerodynamic performance, flight dynamics, and/or subsystem performance
* Have strong computer experience and programming skills, including MATLAB
* Are able to interact effectively with colleagues of different experience levels and backgrounds including industry and military personnel
* Are willing and able to travel occasionally to attend meetings or tests at other government and contractor sites
* Are comfortable working in closed area facilities
* Have strong communication skills, both verbal and written
* Can support some travel required for meetings and field tests (approx. 30-35 days per year). Qualifications also include initiative, interest in skill development and the flexibility to accept assignments of varied scope and skill.
* Have an active final Secret Clearance and are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
**Youâ€™ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if youâ€¦**
* Have a M.S. in aerospace, mechanical engineering or a related technical discipline
* Have 2+ years in a reentry system engineering discipline such as modeling and simulation, aerodynamics, flight dynamics, or hypersonic reentry
* Have experience programming in Simulink or 6DOF simulation development
* Have design experience for related missile or reentry body subsystems
* Currently have an active Top Secret Clearance
**Why work at APL?**
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationâ€™s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLâ€™s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
*Primary Location:* *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel
*Req ID:* 23770