## Position Description
Are you an engineer, mathematician, or computer scientist skilled in algorithm development for data analysis and machine learning?
Are you passionate about solving critical challenges for our nation?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team of scientists and engineers dedicated to applying space-based technology in the defense of our nation.
Our group is a dynamic mix of experts with the combined capability to develop a space-based sensing network, apply it to a complex problem, and analyze the results from end-to-end. We are seeking an engineer or computer scientist to work with our team to develop algorithms for processing spacecraft data. You should have proven coding skills and a dream to tackle the nation's challenges.
As a member of our Algorithms Team:
* Your primary responsibility will be to support the Spacebased Kill Assessment (SKA) Program. You will develop algorithms for analysis of sensor data, including extraction and classification of features of interest.
* You will implement algorithms in Java and MATLAB codes and test code performance.
* You will apply your technical creativity to develop and implement new tools to analyze and improve SKA algorithm performance.
* You will participate in peer review teams to ensure codes and analyses are correctly implemented and contain mathematical and physics-based rigor.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you:
* Have a B.S. in engineering, applied mathematics, physical science, statistics, data science or computer science plus at least 2 years experience.
* Have experience coding in Java and MATLAB.
* Hold an active Secret or higher security clearance (or have the ability to get one prior to starting). If selected, you will be subject to a government security investigation and need to meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you:
* Have a M.S. in engineering, applied mathematics, physical science, statistics, data science, or computer science.
* Have experience working with data from spacebased assets.
* Hold an active Top Secret/SCI clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationâ€™s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLâ€™s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
*Primary Location:* *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel
*Req ID:* 23031