## Position Description
Are you passionate about solving complex problems?
Do you have experience as an operations analyst in the Department of Defense?
Do you want to contribute to work that significantly impacts our country, now and into the future?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team in the National Security Analysis Department (NSAD) at APL. We conduct detailed technical and operational investigations of complex National Security challenges, performed using a defined, rigorous, and defendable process, to deeply understand the major elements of those challenges across the whole of the operational and strategic context, to draw insights that inform critical National Security decisions.
We are seeking hardworking individuals to help us conduct insightful quantitative and qualitative analyses that address critical national security and military challenges. Our team tackles challenges like technical systems performance, operational mission effectiveness, training and proficiency assessment, real world operations, ally and partner interoperability, policy and legal concerns, and many other technical and operational factors that craft a rich tapestry of interwoven matters. Our mission is to provide groundbreaking analyses that offer possible technical solutions to the Nation's challenges and shape the long-term analytic strategy of APL. You will work collaboratively with analysts and specialists throughout the organization and help us foster a work environment that values diversity.
**As an Analyst in the National Security Analysis Department...**
* Your primary responsibility will be contributing to technical and operations analysis of current and future technological systems to gain deep understanding of their operational usage and associated training, logistical, command, control, and communications, doctrinal, policy, and organizational considerations to support our senior decision maker sponsors.
* You will contribute to analysis plans, identify effectiveness measures and data requirements, craft analytic approaches, interpret results, and document and communicate results.
* You will contribute to internal and peer-reviewed publications and assist in presenting your work to diverse audiences, including colleagues, Laboratory leadership, and government sponsors.
**You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...**
* Have demonstrated experience using logical, scientific methods to understand complex, unstructured problems and applying state-of-the-art analytic methodologies to solve them.
* Possess strong analytic curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking skills.
* Have 3 or more years supporting the Department of Defense as an operations analyst or equivalent experience with the U.S. government or another analytic organization. A Ph.D. in the physical sciences, mathematics, operations research, engineering, social sciences with coursework in statistics, operations research, and quantitative or qualitative research methods will be considered in lieu of 3 years of experience.
* Can operate independently in the execution of assignments.
* Have strong organization and planning skills.
* Possess excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
* Can build positive relationships with government sponsors and are comfortable engaging with sponsors independently and as a team.
* Have a Master’s degree in the physical sciences, mathematics, operations research, and engineering with relevant operational analytic experience. Or have a Master’s degree in social sciences or a related discipline with coursework in statistics, operations research, quantitative or qualitative research methods or a minor or second major in the physical sciences or mathematics with relevant operational analytic experience.
* Are able to obtain Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
**You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...**
* Have a Doctoral degree in the physical sciences, mathematics, operations research, engineering, social sciences with coursework in statistics, operations research, and quantitative or qualitative research methods or a Juris Doctorate with relevant operational analytic experience.
* Possess an active Secret or higher security clearance.
**Why work at APL?**
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
*Primary Location:* *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel
*Req ID:* 24437