We currently have several openings within our Process Research & Development (PRD) department at our STA Pharmaceutical business unit, in San Diego, CA. STA Pharmaceutical US LLC, a WuXi AppTec Company, is a contract development and manufacturing organization focused on providing high-quality process development, R&D, GLP Tox lots and up to P1/ P2 GMP small molecule manufacturing services to the biopharmaceutical industry.
This open Associate Scientist Process Research and Development position reports to the ChemicalProcess Research & Development department. Responsibilities
The candidate will work within a team of process R&D scientists in conjunction with the Analytical Chemistry department and be co-responsible for developing safe, efficient and easily scalable processes for producing starting materials, intermediates and active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs). In addition, the candidate will assist in tech transferring projects to kilo lab, pilot plant, and plant scales and contribute to the safe and cGMP compliant execution of API manufacturing processes.
The candidate will also work with our internal Quality Assurance team, to ensure that high quality standards are maintained and appropriate documentation such as process development and scale-up documentation including batch production records (BPRs) are completed in a timely manner and that standard operating procedures (SOPs) are written and followed.
The ideal candidate will have shown proficiency in hands-on synthetic organic chemistry and the ability to solve process and scale-up problems through laboratory-scale investigations of organic synthesis reactions and separations. They will provide technical and trouble-shooting support for process scale-up runs and c ollaborate with other functional groups and accept other duties and as needed.
Essential Functions &
- Must have a solid understanding of organic chemistry principles.
- Possess experience in process development for small molecules at various scales
- Experience with literature search tools such as Scifinder and Reaxys needed.
- Familiarity with analytical tools such as NMR, HPLC, GC, IR, LC-MS and results interpretation.
- A degree (BS, MS or PhD) in synthetic organic chemistry or related field required
- Demonstrated success working effectively outside defined scope of responsibility
- Should have a bias for action and display a sense of urgency.
- Will proactively establish good working relationships with peers to support and enable the delivery of intermediates/ API in a timely fashion.
- Collates and presents results in various forms, such as weekly/monthly reports, technical reports, and oral presentations for internal reviewand to management.