## Position Description
**Audio/Speech Signal Processing Engineer**
Are you passionate about providing real impact to the countryâ€™s toughest national security problems?
Are you a creative engineer who always finds a way to overcome obstacles?
If so, weâ€™re looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
Our team provides innovative solutions and insights to the DoD and IC. We are seeking talented engineers, scientists, and software developers to help us deliver game changing capabilities to our sponsors. As part of our team you will develop and evaluate advanced speech processing algorithms and implementations. This will include performing modeling and simulation for a variety of audio, speech, and human language processing applications. You will also design and conduct acoustic testing, both in the lab and in the field, for speech applications and advanced acoustic/vibration sensors.
**About the job: we will trust you with the following responsibilities...**
* As an Audio/Speech Signal Processing Engineer you will optimize speech algorithms for real-time and embedded processor implementations.
* You will test and evaluate speech algorithms (intelligibility, speaker ID, voice activity, blind source separation) and advanced concept microphone arrays. Support other APL groups in applying speech processing applications.
* You will develop algorithms and advanced machine learning techniques for audio applications such as speech modeling, 3D audio rendering, speech recognition, blind source separation, and speaker ID.
* You will prepare technical reports, test plans, and project plans.
**_Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time._**
**Are you up for the job? We are actively searching for someone whoâ€¦**
* Has a M.S. in Math, Physics, EE, CE, CS or related engineering discipline.
* Has Experience in speech, audio, or acoustics signal processing.
* Understands theoretical acoustics and is able to perform modeling and simulation preferably in MATLAB.
* Works effectively with other engineers, scientists, and technicians as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
* Has strong problem solving and personal communication skills.
* Is willing and able to apply for a TS/SCI government clearance. Security eligibility requires US citizenship.
**We would be even more impressed by someone whoâ€¦**
* Has a Ph.D. in Math, Physics, Electrical, Computer, or related engineering discipline
* Has demonstrated experience and expertise in speech and human language processing technologies.
* Has ands on development experience in a major machine learning/deep learning framework.
* Has 5+ years of experience in speech and human language processing technologies.
**Special Working Conditions:** Limited travel will be required. Candidates must be eligible for DoD clearance requiring background investigation and/or polygraph.
**Security:** Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
**Why work at APL?**
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationâ€™s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLâ€™s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
*Primary Location:* *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel
*Req ID:* 23659