We are pioneers. We were the first to break the sound barrier and to design the first functional jetpack. We were aboard NASAs first lunar mission and brought advanced tiltrotor systems to market. Today, we are defining the future of on-demand mobility. At Bell, we are proud to work for an iconic company with superb talent, rapidly creating novel and coveted vertical lift experiences.
Bell is seeking a self-motivated Avionics Design Engineer to join Bells Advanced Vertical Lift Systems team. The individual will support the development of new military products and platforms. This position will be part of a diverse team of engineers capable of executing in a fast-paced environment.
- Developing avionics system requirements, architecture and interfaces.
- Coordinating with avionics system suppliers in the development, integration and testing of displays, flight instruments, communication and navigation systems, sensor and sighting systems, and vehicle management systems.
- System and software integration, requirements management, systems specifications, interface management, system safety assessment, validation and verification testing in systems integration labs, aircraft flight test, and aircraft/system qualification and certification.
- Creation of system architecture and system schematics.
- Creation of system performance specifications, interface control documents, and test plans/procedures
- Development of test requirements to drive systems integration lab and flight test aircraft instrumentation design
- Perform hardware and software integration testing of multiple systems operating together in a systems integration lab
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering preferred; Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline required
- Experience at all levels will be considered with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience.
- Support all phases of development from initial proposal development through successful design, qualification, integration testing, flight test, and production.
- Specific experience with some or all of the following:
o PFD, MFD, EICAS, Cockpit controls, Digital Map
o EGI, GPS, IFF, ADS-B, TCAS, ILS, TACAN, Radar Altimeter, Air Data
- Communications Systems: VHF/UHF, SATCOM, Datalinks, ICS
- Preferred experience in military platform avionics integration.
- Experience with qualification to standards such as RTCA DO-160, MIL-STD- 810, MIL-STD-883, MIL-STD-461, MIL-STD-464, RTCA DO-178, and RTCA DO-254,
- Understanding of current system engineering and configuration management processes. Experience with Model Based Systems Engineering preferred.
- Familiarity with open systems architecture and protocols (JCA, FACE, HOST, MOSA) is preferred.
- Familiarity with System Safety Assessments and Failure Hazard Analysis
- Hands-on experience using electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.)
- Demonstrated engineering intuition, critical thinking, comfort with ambiguity
- Strong oral and written skills as this position involves working with a diverse team of experienced professionals; customers and suppliers
- Coordinate between engineering teams, suppliers and customers.
- Work collaboratively in multi-disciplinary teams to define cross-functional interfaces and conduct air vehicle level trade studies as designs move from concept to production
- Collaborating with engineers from other disciplines to include electrical power, flight controls, propulsion, airframe structures, rotors, fuel, hydraulics and drive systems
- Analyze and resolve hardware/software integration issues as they arise
- Experience with avionics electrical interfaces including analog, digital, discrete I/O
- Experience with data bus protocols such as ARINC 429, MIL-STD-1553, RS-232/422/485)
- Gigabit Ethernet experience preferred; TCP/IP, UDP protocols