Bioinformatician Minimum Salary US-MA-Worcester Job Location 2 months ago (7/10/2019 10:55 AM) Requisition Number 2019-33374 # of Openings 1 Posted Date Day Shift Exempt Overview
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of a member of the faculty, the Bioinformatician is responsible for the design, development, evaluation and iterative modification of a technical infrastructure to expedite the quantitative evaluation of data resulting from studies that are laboratory based. The position will entail the establishment and maintenance of applicable in-house bioinformatics resources and interaction with individual lab members on customized research projects, as well independent projects that are the solely computational.
- Establish general bioinformatics resources for day-to-day use by members of the laboratory
- In collaboration with a faculty member, generate customized programming solutions to improve user interaction with available bioinformatics resources
- Assist in the implementation of programs for microarray analysis, high-throughput sequencing data analysis, cis regulatory motif identification, and multi-genome protein motif searches
- Local establishment and customization of model organism genomic databases and tools for batch sequence analysis utilizing these resources
- Interpret and present study results in support of laboratory members
- Provide tabular and written summaries of approaches and analyses in a form suitable for inclusion in manuscripts or grant applications, as well as media for presentation at scientific meetings
- Develop and implement custom bioinformatics programming solutions in collaboration with lab as necessary
- Coordinate and collaborate with other research computing expertise at the Medical School as necessary
- Participate in conference calls and data management meetings as needed
- Perform other duties as required.
- BS in computer science or a related discipline. Previous work experience desired, but not required; candidates with advanced degrees will be considered.
- Strong background in statistical methodology, software languages and computer systems (Perl, C++, R, MySQL, etc.)
- Experience in writing basic search algorithms and the ability to generate new algorithms and programs for custom data manipulation and analysis
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a wide range of individuals