Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Shift: Weekend Days, Weekdays and Holidays, as needed.
Penn Medicine Princeton Health is seeking a Cardiac Echo Technician to join our team in the Center for Cardiac and Pulmonary Care in Plainsboro, NJ. This is a per diem weekend day shift opportunity.
Princeton Medical Center offers state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging to help detect and evaluate cardiovascular, pulmonary and respiratory conditions. These services are essential to assessing, treating and promoting heart and pulmonary health and function.
All tests performed at Princeton Medical Center are conducted by highly trained cardiac, echocardiography and pulmonary technicians working under the direction of the medical director who is board certified in cardiology, pulmonology and echocardiography. We are committed to promptly reporting your test results to your personal physician or cardiologist to promote fast and effective treatment.
The Center offers a comprehensive range of advanced diagnostic testing for cardiac and pulmonary issues, including:
• Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring (ABPM)
• Arterial Blood Gas Test (ABG)
• Bronchial Provocation Test (i.e., methacholine challenge) for diagnosis of asthma
• Cardiac Stress Test
• Diagnostic Cardiology Echocardiogram
• Electrocardiogram (EKG)
• Holter Monitoring
•Nuclear Stress Test
• Pulmonary Function Test (PFT)
• Pulmonary Exercise Test
• Stress Echo
As a Cardiac Echo Technician in the Center for Cardiac and Pulmonary Care you will have a vast knowledge and understanding of adult and congenital heart disease and be able to recognize cardiac pathophysiology as it pertains to structural and anatomic abnormalities identified on echo imaging with appropriate hemodynamic and flow abnormalities. As such, you are responsible for performing echocardiograms on both adult and pediatric patients; of which will be inpatient and outpatient. Studies include: complete M-mode and 2-Dimensional imaging studies, pulse wave, continuous wave, and color flow Doppler Studies. In addition, you will perform quantitative analysis of studies performed, including M-mode and 2-D measurements and complete Doppler analysis (i.e. quantization of regurgitation, calculation of pressure gradients, valve areas, and shunt calculation). You will be responsible for patient education including but not limited to, explanation of the procedure including any discharge instructions and will include documentation of patient education in the patients’ medical record.
Some job functions and duties will include, but not limited to:
+ • Performs ultrasound diagnostic imaging on patients according to the specific departmental procedure protocols.
• Performs echocardiograms on both adult and pediatric inpatients and out patients, including complete M-mode and 2 Dimensional imaging studies, pulse wave, continuous wave, and color flow Doppler Studies.
• Performs quantitative analysis of studies performed, including M-mode and 2-D measurements and complete Doppler analysis (i.e. quantization of regurgitation, calculation of pressure gradients, valve areas, and shunt calculation).
• Prepares equipment ensuring the equipment is operational, safe and functioning.
• Actively participates with patient testing, performing routine, non-routine, urgent and emergent patient requests.
• Coordinates all record keeping activities for the echo lab, which includes hard copies and computer-generated reports and charges.
• Participates in echo reading review sessions with physicians on a regular basis.
• Instructs interested house staff and Cardiology fellows on technical aspects of performing and interpreting studies.
• Supervises and instructs visiting echo technicians under preceptor program.
• Attends continuing education seminars and maintains state-of-the art knowledge of echocardiography techniques.
• Supports customer service and performance improvement goals of the department; collaborates with other caregivers/staff, within and outside the Department, to develop means of enhancing patient care and service.
• Maintains standards of confidentiality.
• Participates in unit compliance as related to established standards. Other duties and projects as assigned.
+ RCS or RDCS (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
+ 1-2 years’ experience performing echocardiograms or Ultrasound School graduate. Meet standards established by ICAEL for accreditation.
+ 3 years of work experience in echocardiography.
Specialized Skills & Knowledge Requirements:
+ Basic Computer knowledge
+ Able to use VCR, calculator, Fax and telephone
+ Excellent interpersonal, communication skills and professionalism
+ Customer service orientation, a teamwork approach, flexibility, organizational and problem-solving skills
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law. REQNUMBER: UPHS-INFOR-135510