## Position Description
Do you have experience with researching communications and networking engineering?
Are you passionate about using innovation and technology to solve technical challenges involving the defense of the US?
If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
As a Communications Research Engineer, you will...
Conduct communication and networking systems engineering research activities in support of Cyber Operations, Special Operations, and Homeland Protection Business Areas. Communication systems include wired and wireless line-of-sight and satellite communications systems and networks.
* Contribute to the research and development of potential future concepts and technological solutions to advance global connectivity. Advance and apply new technologies to enable evolution of existing communication and networking systems to higher data rates, increased resilience, and greater interoperability.
* Support the development of modeling and simulation (M&S) tools and conduct analyses to evaluate the performance of specific communication and networking systems.
* Conduct communication and networking systems engineering activities, including system requirements, architecture, design, test, and evaluation.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have:
* PhD in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, physical sciences, mathematics, or related technical discipline.
* 1+ years experience in communications and network systems engineering.
* Demonstrated strong teamwork and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to work independently.
* Excellent oral and written communications skills.
* Able to do some local travel to sponsor sites may be required.
* Ability to obtain a Secret Clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Youâ€™ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
* PhD in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or computer science.
* 5+ years experience in commercial and/or government communication and network systems engineering.
* Recent knowledge of DoD and/or intelligence community, sponsors, and programs.
* Current TS/SCI w/ Poly clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationâ€™s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLâ€™s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
*Primary Location:* *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel
*Req ID:* 22112