Additional Information: Show/Hide
Position: Secondary Counselor
Reports to: Principal
Contract: 208 days New Teacher
205 days Returning Teacher
I. General Responsibilities
The secondary counselor is responsible for the implementation of district guidance curriculum in a way that maximizes student learning. The secondary counselor is responsible for developing a building guidance program.
II. Examples of Duties A. Instructional Process
1. Maintains professional growth and development.
2. Develops Educational Programs for students.
B. Organization and Management
1. Allocates time based on the needs of the counseling program and the needs of the students.
2. Has supplies, materials and equipment ready for use.
3. Keeps student records current and readily available.
C. Guidance Practices
1. Maintains a current knowledge of test information.
2. Provides current college information to students.
3. Provides current information regarding other post-high school opportunities.
4. Develops and maintains a plan to assist students with educational planning.
D. School Climate
1. Creates a physical environment that makes students feel welcome.
2. Creates an atmosphere that is conducive to positive interaction.
3. Maintains positive building environment.
4. Promotes the development of self-control in the students.
5. Promotes positive self-concept.
E. Counseling Practices
1. Develops and maintains counseling practices to assist students withtheir personal and social development.
F. Professional Relationships
1. Demonstrates sound professional judgment.
2. Maintains a positive attitude.
3. Interacts positively with other staff members.
4. Interacts positively with community and parents.
5. Meets assigned building and District responsibilities.
6. Works to complete building, District, and Board of Education goals.
Valid Kansas Teaching license.