Works under general supervision to perform dental hygiene procedures chairside in schools or in a clinic; conducts educational dental programs in schools and other agencies; and coordinate with educational, public health and dental agencies in carrying out dental health programs.
Pay Grade: 48H
1. Three (3) years of experience as a dental hygienist; and
2. Graduation from an accredited school with an associate degree in dental hygiene; and
3. Licensed or eligible for licensure to practice dental hygiene in state of Tennessee.
4. PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assists Lead Hygienist with developing schedules and implementing/coordinating the dental sealant program in schools.
2. Sets up and monitors portable dental equipment in schools either independently or with assistance.
3. Informs, educates and empowers patients by teaching proper hygiene techniques, performs oral prophylaxis, administers fluoride treatments and applies dental sealants.
4. Assists Dentist with oral examinations by charting conditions of teeth, evaluates hard and soft tissues, records periodontal abnormalities, takes x-rays and develops films.
5. Informs and educates teachers and students in schools on dental health education.
6. Coordinates and participates in outreach activities related to the dental program, activities include contacting parents, making phone calls, preparing correspondence, and database monitoring.
7. Develops, collects, evaluates and distributes materials on dental health education in schools and in other community settings.
8. Monitors and maintains patient records and required reports.
9. Assists the dentist and monitors clinical activities on a rotating basis.
10. Monitors and maintains equipment, assists with the inventory of supplies, and performs routine cleaning of instruments and work area.
11. Performs other related duties as required or directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
KSAs and Others -
1. Thorough knowledge of the dental hygiene sciences including the principles, practices and procedures of dental hygiene.
2. Considerable knowledge of methods and techniques involved in dental hygiene.
3. Knowledge of the objectives and services of a dental health program, of social economic forces affecting dental health and of dental hygiene consultative techniques.
4. Skill in planning and presenting dental hygiene lectures, demonstrations and instructions.
5. Knowledge of infection control techniques and regulations and able to apply them.
6. Knowledgeable of modern dental equipment and its use.
Must be able to lift portable dental equipment (minimum of 40 lbs.).
1. Must have a valid Tennessee Drivers License or secure one upon date of employment.
2. Must have daily access to an operable automobile and meet county requirements for automobile insurance upon date of employment.
3. Must pass a criminal history background check.