Selected candidate will function as an Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Dental Officer in the Dental Service at the OKC VA Medical Center. The Oklahoma City VAMC is a tertiary care teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology, as well as education/research. Incumbent will be proficient in all aspects of oral maxillofacial surgery and general dentistry procedures, including the ability to perform selected specialty services.
Learn more about this agency
Duties will include, but are not limited to, the following tasks:
- Diagnosis of pathological or irregular oral conditions.
- Administering local anesthesia.
- Performing admissions, work-up and performance of surgical procedures of patients with illnesses, injuries and disorders of both the functional and aesthetic aspects of the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial regions.
- Performing dental-alveolar surgical procedures, reduction of facial fractures, placement of dental implants and biopsy procedures.
- Performing routine and complex extraction of teeth, exostosis removal and routine preprosthetic surgeries.
- Education and supervision of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery residents, Dental residents, interns and students.
Work Schedule: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Financial Discloser Report: Not required Travel Required
Occasional travel - Occasional travel to CBOC in Lawton or North OKC.
15 Job family (Series)
0680 Dental Officer Similar jobs
- Dentists, General
- General Dentists
- Oral Surgeons
- Surgeons, Oral
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 12/31/2019.
Basic Requirements :
Preferred Experience: Diagnosis of pathological or irregular oral conditions; administering of local anesthesia; Accomplishment of admissions, work-up and performance of surgical procedures of patients presenting with illnesses, injuries, and disorders of both the functional and aesthetic aspects of the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial regions. Accomplishes dental-alveolar surgical procedures, reduction of facial fractures, placement of dental implants and biopsy procedures. Other responsibilities include education and supervision of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery residents, interns, and students. Knowledge of Keyboard/computer experience is very helpful since our charting system is electronic. Experience with residents or students is also advantageous, since we have a general practice residency program. For a general dentist, a residency program would be beneficial.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of dental surgery or dental medicine resulting from a course of education in dentistry. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full, and unrestricted license to practice dentistry in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States (i.e., Puerto Rico), or in the District of Columbia. The dentist must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing active, current licensure.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Dentists, including residents, appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
- Physical requirements outlined below.
References: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Physical activity includes sitting, standing and walking for extended periods, heavy lifting, reaching above the shoulder, and repeated bending. Candidates must be emotionally and mentally stable.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Additional information
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
You may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.Read more
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, resume, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: A formal pay-setting process will be used to determine your salary. The salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps bu