We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion (https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/vision/who-we-are/diversity-inclusion.html) for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Director, Corporate Development
Job Profile: Director, Corporate Development, Mergers and Acquisitions
The Director of Strategy & Corporate Development will be responsible for design and delivery of business and investment strategy for Mastercard’s Open Banking business and other business units on a global basis. The role will report to the VP of Corporate Development and the individual will partner closely with global Open Banking Strategy, Product and Regional organizations including Finicity and AIIA.
• Responsible for synthesizing market and industry trends, developing industry maps, value-chain analysis for these emerging areas, engaging with relevant product personnel to understand the product strategy, identifying, and executing upon key partnership, investment and acquisition opportunities within individual geographies. This includes end-to-end deal management for commercial, investment or acquisition opportunities including early-stage outreach to targeted companies, development of a business case for investments, negotiation of key terms / valuation and consummation of the transaction.
• The role also requires navigating across external and Mastercard relationships and promote potential strategic investment opportunities.
Areas of Focus will include:
• Global Strategy Development: Partner with relevant global and regional product team(s) and market leaders to understand, challenge and refine their global and regional strategies.
• Market Engagement: Develop and maintain active engagement with relevant market players across regions with target companies, PE / VC investors, investment banks and other sources to ensure full market visibility. The individual shall closely partner with the Mastercard Start Path program to develop strong relationships with relevant portfolio companies.
• Generation of Investment Rationales: In collaboration with relevant stakeholders, define elements of the strategy to executed via a build, partner, invest or buy approach. The output of this work is geographic / vertical / product strategy matrix, investment target profiles, capability heat maps on needs which outline organic vs. inorganic approaches.
• Investment Profile Development & Execution: Convert inorganic growth objectives into optimal target investment profiles, source and screen investment candidates against those profiles and prioritize related deal execution.
• Investment Business Case Building: Structure and articulate end-to-end analysis (strategic and financial) of prioritized target investments. Apply consulting frameworks and tools to develop robust and concise analysis and recommendations.
• Fintech expertise and cross Functional Coordination: Develop deep understanding of Mastercard products and solutions and geographic markets to advance the identification of relevant and impactful investment or acquisition opportunities.
• Transaction Execution: Based on the nature of the specific commercial, equity investment or acquisition, lead or support the related deal execution stages including due diligence, final approvals and definitive documentation. Post-closing, the individual shall actively manage quarterly investment reporting on closed equity investments and related commercial agreements.
All About You:
· Relevant industry knowledge and appetite/curiosity for exploration and constant
· update on market and industry trends and their impact on MasterCard’s business
· Demonstrated success in Strategy and Corporate Development leadership roles in the payments industry
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to communicate findings
· in a compelling manner to senior internal and external audiences; Prior experience
· developing board materials desired
· Strong relationship management and negotiation skills and the ability to influence
· across Mastercard;
· Strong Project Management skills coordinate complex organizational processes and
· consolidate input from multiple stakeholders
· Highly motivated with a ability to adapt quickly and champion time sensitive/mission
· critical processes operating in a global and matrix-type organization
· Ability to handle confidential information and materials with appropriate discretion
· Sound judgment to act autonomously and identify emerging issues and escalate them
· as required
· Ability to travel internationally up to 30% of the time, once travel resumes.
We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together. In many locations, which may change over time, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by video or phone. In addition, in some locations, only individuals who have been fully vaccinated will be permitted inside Mastercard offices until further notice.
In the US, Mastercard is a government contractor, which may legally require most Mastercard employees to be vaccinated unless a verified approved medical or religious exemption is granted. Further, we are currently making every effort towards having employees return to work in the office 2 days per week, if that makes sense for their team. Everyone must be vaccinated to enter Mastercard offices at this time. Therefore, we expect all candidates to be vaccinated or to be approved for a medical or religious accommodation prior to commencing work at Mastercard.
In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
**Corporate Security Responsibility**
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
+ Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
+ Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
+ Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
+ Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.
**Requisition ID:** R-165436