## Position Description
Do you have experience with distributed systems engineering for collaborative environments?
Are you passionate about using innovation and technology to solve technical challenges involving the defense of the US and her allies?
If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
As a Distributed Systems Engineer, you will...
Tackle critical problems to improve distributed system capabilities for the Navy and other DOD sponsors in a collaborative environment. you will be involved with networked systems at many different levels from early trade analysis and requirements definition to test and evaluation and algorithm and interface design.
You will not only interact with government and contractor personnel, and other APL engineers, you will be relied upon as key contributing member of a team.
You will get to perform independent analysis and lead interdisciplinary small-team efforts to perform key analyses and develop systems concepts.
* Performing a broad array of analyses in support of the Navy Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC) program, including distributed communications and tracking functions, to deliver the system a new generation of capabilities.
* Work with APL, contractor personnel, and government representatives to define and develop new distributed system technologies and processing algorithms for future experimentation and possible system implementation.
* Document concepts and analysis and effectively communicate results to laboratory and sponsor management.
**You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have a:**
* BS in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or comparable technical field with 3 or more years of systems engineering or relevant experience.
* Familiarity with working with a high-level programming language such as MATLAB.
* Strong analytical and applied mathematical skills.
* Familiarity with Navy combat systems, sensors, and weapon systems.
* Strong leadership and personal communications skills.
* Willing to travel regularly.
* Able to perform effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
* Ability to obtain an Interim Secret level clearance prior to starting. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
**Youâ€™ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have a:**
* MS in EE, Mathematics, Physics, or comparable technical field.
* Experience with the Cooperative Engagement Capability.
* Experience and background in some or all of the following: RF communications, applied mathematics, statistics, modeling and simulation, signal processing, or controls.
* Experience with algorithms for target tracking and network management.
* Active Secret clearance.
**Why work at APL?**
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationâ€™s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLâ€™s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
*Primary Location:* *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel
*Req ID:* 22900