At Carnegie Mellon University, Facilities Management and Campus Services (FMCS) defines our core activities through stewardship of university facilities and happiness of our customers. In order to carry out these strategically important activities, we focus on the areas of technological enhancement, process improvement, quality assurance, and collaboration.
Carnegie Mellon University's department of Facilities Management is searching for an Electrician. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives in an interesting and challenging work environment. In this role, you will:
* Install, troubleshoot, and repair electrically driven equipment, components and general wiring, specifying wire and conduit sizes for proper circuit protection of tools and equipment (multi-phase, voltages to 4160);
* Install, maintain, and test switches, panels and control devices applicable to plant installations;
* Work from scaffolding and ladders when necessary;
* Requisition job parts and supplies;
* Inspect and monitor system equipment operation;
* Operate on and off-road utility vehicles and light trucks in support of assigned work; and
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Flexibility, perfection, and passion are vital qualities within Facilities Management Services. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued at CMU. Therefore, you should be able to effectively interact with a dynamic population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work. The successful candidate must understand the scope of assigned work and communicate effectively with customers to insure scope of work is understood. You need to have a working knowledge of the National Electrical Code and applicable City of Pittsburgh codes, and work effectively and safely in close proximity to electrical equipment at voltages up to 4,160 VAC using appropriate protective equipment.
* High school diploma required; graduation from technical school, trade school or electrician apprenticeship program preferred.
* Current valid electrician’s license issued by the City of Pittsburgh.
* Minimum three years recent full time continuous experience in electrical maintenance and installation work at the journeyman level.
* Preferred: Minimum: ten years recent full time continuous experience in electrical work at the journeyman level in an institutional (university or hospital) setting. Experience working with electrical distribution systems at voltages up to 4160.
* Physical Mobility: Ability to move and work in confined spaces, up and down ladders and to work from ladders, scaffolding, and bucket truck platform. Travel to jobs over a 100+ acre campus with many hills and stairs. Ability to lift 40 pounds from ground to overhead. Ability to pass a physical exam for clearance to wear a respirator when working near hazardous environment.
* You should have strong communication skills, be able to work effectively with other craft employees, and professionally manage interactions with challenging customers. Additionally, you must be able to work independently and make appropriate decisions as to when additional help is needed to correct issues.
* Background check
* Valid PA driver's license
* Fitness for duty assessment and pre-employment medical exam
* Pre-employment drug and alcohol screen
This position will require flexibility in working various shifts, overtime and call-out work. The successful candidate must pass a pre-employment drug test. Must be a member of, or agrees to join Local #95, International Union of Operating Engineers. A driver’s license check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment being made. Willingness to work shifts, overtime and call-out work. Ability to pass physical exam for clearance to wear a respirator when working near hazards. The successful candidate must obtain all background clearances as may be required by Pennsylvania Act 153.
Please visit “_Why Carnegie Mellon_” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: _www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/_.
****Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran****.
*Job Function:* Facilities Services
*Primary Location:* United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
*Req ID:* 2014172
*Department URL:* https://www.cmu.edu/fms
*Time Type:* Full Time
*Minimum Education Level:* None Specified