Provides advanced medical care to patients with complex acute, critical, and/or chronic health conditions in a clinic or hospital setting in one or more specialized areas under the direction of a physician.
Position Key Accountabilities:
1. Conducts complex, standardized patient care procedures which require experience and specialized training which would otherwise be performed by a physician, but which do not constitute the practice of medicine.
2. Conducts independent and physician supervised rounding on unit.
3. Performs relevant patient evaluations and assessments and provides appropriate treatment; including monitoring and ordering medications.
4. Coordinates, directs, and implements the patients plan of care.
5. Assists in collecting patient histories, screens for co-morbidities, and provides guidance and preventative health care as needed.
6. Performs physical examinations and provides episodic care or problem oriented care under the supervision of a physician.
7. Orders appropriate laboratory, diagnostic and radiographic tests and interprets the results.
8. Monitors the treatment program of the patient to inform the attending physician of pertinent medical information.
9. Facilitates patient education relating to medical processes, medication, nutrition and health promotion or preventive health.
10. Assists physicians in formulating therapeutic decisions.
11. Maintains appropriate records, and prepares chart documentation for review and counter signature by the physician.
12. Prepares and cares for supplies and equipment.
13. Responds to emergency situations.
14. Performs within the scope of practice prescribed by licensure and certification.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Current Texas Licensure as a Physician Assistant
- Current Physician Assistant certification issued by the National Commission of Certification of Physician Assistants
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Certified or specialty certification as required by department
- Proficient in the use of medical and surgical instruments and equipment required by work.
- None; previous experience in area of clinical focus preferred.
- Position is located at the Lyndon B. Johnson Annex @ 5656 Kelley Street
- Full Time / Salaried / Exempt position
Exerts up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds frequently and/or up to 10 pounds constantly to move objects.
This job class may contain positions that are security sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code 51.215