This position provides Quality Assurance testing on materials used in the construction of State & Federally funded contracts. The incumbent in this position will be primarily responsible for sampling & testing of portland cement concrete, but in addition testing of bituminous concrete (hot-mix), soil and aggregate, and in place material at jobsites throughout the state for conformance to construction plans, specifications, and special provisions. The incumbent in this position may be required to lift up to 50 lbs and work in inclement weather. This position must be available to work overtime as needed.
Upon satisfactory completion of department promotional standards and job requirements, employees may be eligible to be promoted to the next level.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Inspects infrastructures to ensure compliance with design plans, materials specifications, safety requirements, construction processes, local, state and federal codes and on going maintenance requirements; documents/reports compliance or deficiencies.
- Designs/develops/reviews engineering project/site layouts, alignments, profiles, studies, graphs and other related activities.
- Compiles and records notes, sketches, test results, inspection data and other information to document compliance and/or develop designs, specifications, reports, maps and other geographically based data.
- Conducts various studies to be used by others to analyze needs/develop plans, record characteristics and other related activities.
- Conducts data analysis to determine accuracy of data collected, develop recommendations, develop corrective designs and/or ensure compliance.
- Tests/evaluates the quality of materials or designs to verify adherence to contracts and specifications.
- Obtains survey data, such as angles, elevations, points, and contours, using electronic distance measuring equipment and other surveying instruments.
- Calculates/measures area and volume dimensions, horizontal and vertical geometry, profile and component specifications, and material testing dimensions using calculators or computers.
- Operates computer assisted drafting equipment or other tools of the trade.
- Reads and interprets plans, specification, blueprints and other engineering documents.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Engineering/Planning/Surveying Technician I
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
Conditions of Hire
- Knowledge of applied mathematical computations including algebra and geometry.
- Knowledge of interpreting construction plans and details, schematics or technical drawings.
- Knowledge of using an automated information system to enter, update, modify, delete, retrieve/inquire and report on data.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. DelDOT does not provide employment-based sponsorship.
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
This position is a classification organized under an exclusive bargaining representative (labor organization). The candidate selected for this position shall be asked to join and pay dues to the labor organization or may, decline joining the labor organization and not pay dues or a fee. The labor organization has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other work related purposes.Benefits
To learn more about the comprehensive benefit package please visit our website at http://ben.omb.delaware.gov/
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the aMy Applicationsa? tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com . Accommodations
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware a An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.