Under the direction of the Vice President of Pharmacy Finance and Analytics, National Program Office, this position provides strategic direction and develops, manages, and monitors contracting initiatives that enable Kaiser Permanente to remain as the market leader for affordability and quality for pharmaceuticals dispensed to Kaiser members in the Inpatient, Outpatient/Mail Order, and Medical Office/Clinic settings.
Specifically, this includes the execution and administration of national pharmaceutical contracts for single-source and multisource pharmaceutical, wholesaler, nonprescription (over the counter or OTC), and Specialty products for all KP health plan lines of business, clinics, and hospitals. Responsible for maintaining proprietary and strategic relationships with pharmaceutical manufacturers and KP contracted wholesaler(s) and Group Purchasing Organizations (GPO-s). Collaborates with and assists the Physician/Medical Groups and Pharmacy stakeholders in developing and managing drug cost and utilization strategies to maximize affordability, maintain the highest quality while securing industry leading product discounts.
- Oversees and directly manages pharmaceutical bids for Single Source, Specialty, Multisource and OTC medications including negotiations for contract price, volume requirements, terms, and conditions.
- Oversees management and coordination of pharmacy purchasing, warehouse, and inventory through KP contracted wholesalers and utilization strategies, programs and initiatives within scope of responsibilities.
- Possesses superior negotiation skills to deliver highest contract value.
- Directly supervises all employees in the pharmaceutical contracting business unit
- Provides leadership at the national level coordinating physician and pharmacy stakeholders within the Medical Group, Health Plan, and Hospitals to ensure pharmaceutical contract compliance and value is maximized.
- Provides oversight and develops strategies for pharmaceutical supply chain management to maximize value of Wholesaler and Group Purchasing agreement(s) and lower overall cost for KP.
- Provides subject matter expertise for strategic projects at the discretion of National Pharmacy leadership including support for Sustainable Growth, Affordability, Quality, and Efficiency initiatives.
- Serves as a thought leader internally and externally on matters related to pharmaceutical pricing and government regulations. Provides market industry influence.
- Participates in external, internal, and national conferences to enhance the image and reputation of the organization and improve KP-s performance through networking industry best practices and benchmarking.
- Monitors and assesses the external marketplace and recommends adjustments to operations to meet the changing business and market and regulatory conditions and stay ahead of the competition to maximize affordability and pricing competitiveness.
- Understands complexities of different classes of trade within scope of responsibilities including 340b, Physician, Manufacturers, Wholesalers, GPO-s, PBM-s. Managed Care, and Hospital
- Provides oversight for planning, analyzing, coordination, and controls policies and procedures relating to audit trails, distribution, purchasing, quality control and overall compliance with Federal/State/FDA and other regulations within scope of responsibilities.
- Minimum ten (10) years of leadership experience in contract management of pharmaceutical products medical supplies, medical devices, medical equipment or healthcare commodities including managing bids and negotiating a contract based on the bid from price through redline language negotiations and signature; or minimum eight (8) years of procurement management and leadership experience in a large complex integrated healthcare delivery system, or multiple-facility hospital provider system or similar setting, or pharmacy benefit management (PBM).
- Degree in Pharmacy required
License, Certification, Registration
- Demonstrated abilities to lead high performing teams
- Degree in Business preferred. M.B.A. preferred, but will also consider master-s degree in a related field.
Primary Location: California,Downey,Downey Boeing - Independence Park 12254 Bellflower Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Day Workdays: Mon-Fri Working Hours Start: 8:00 am Working Hours End: 5:00 pm Job Schedule: Full-time Job Type: Standard Employee Status: Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation: Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt Job Level: Director/Senior Director Job Category: Pharmacy Department: National Pharmacy Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Click here for additional requirements >