The Field Compression Engineering position requires a high interest and aptitude for rotating mechanical equipment. The position is challenging and provides exciting opportunities to be involved or address new issues every day. A 4 year BS Mechanical Engineering degree from an accredited program is required. The Field Compression Engineer will provide technical expertise, help maintain and improve the reliability of natural gas compression and ancillary equipment. Equipment types vary from large integral reciprocating engines and compressors in the 1,000 HP to 4,000 HP range that have been operating almost continuously for the last 30+ years to modern 1,500 HP to 8,000 HP separable reciprocating engines and compressors as well as 1,000 HP to 30,000 HP gas turbine engines and compressors. The position will require traveling in the Southwest region of the country supporting locations with equipment.
- Provide technical expertise to support mechanical needs for the various customers.
- Aid in the specification of natural gas compression equipment based on provided operating conditions to optimize performance efficiencies, flexibility to changes in operating conditions, long-term reliability, ease of maintenance, while minimizing 20 year life cycle costs.
- E stablish vendor relationships as applies to equipment in the area.
- Work with a wide variety of people thru tact, courtesy and professionalism.
- Organize work for timely completion and be available for overtime work if required.
- Use personal judgment and specialized knowledge to provide and safeguard confidential information.
- Communicate in a highly professional manner. Speak clearly, both in person and by telephone, using a high level of verbal skills and listen carefully. E-mail will be professional at all times.
- Travel (up to 50% often overnight) to contractor or Kinder Morgan sites for mechanical support as well as to attend meetings and conferences. Weekend travel is occasionally required.
- Work with Operations in development of annual budgets in regard to compression and ancillary equipment needs.
- Maintain a high degree of attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments with various deadlines and responsibility levels concurrently.
- Maintain a regular, dependable attendance and high level of performance.
- Knowledgeable of company engineering specification.
- Knowledgeable of company and governmental safety regulations.
- Maintain a high regard for the safety of the general public, company and contract personnel, and company assets.
- Read and interpret mechanical, electrical, control, and instrumentation drawings.
A 4-year BS Mechanical Engineering degree from an accredited school.
- Preferred two years practical experience (post degree) in the design and technical analysis of high pressure natural gas compressor systems.
- Specific knowledge in natural gas compression equipment and the mechanical design of gas compression equipment (including reciprocating engines, gas turbines, electric motor drives, reciprocating compressors, and centrifugal compressors).
- Proficiency in basic engineering skills.
- Experience and knowledge with compressor station design.
- Proficient in basic PC operations, including word-processing and spreadsheets.
- Familiarity and ability to read and interpret electrical and mechanical blueprints and diagrams, including flow charts, cause/effect diagrams, and Piping and Instrument Drawings (P&IDs).
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.