Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Oxy is an international energy company with assets primarily in the United States, the Middle East and North Africa. We are one of the largest oil producers in the U.S., including a leading producer in the Permian and DJ basins, and offshore Gulf of Mexico. Our midstream and marketing segment provides flow assurance and maximizes the value of our oil and gas. Our chemical subsidiary OxyChem manufactures the building blocks for life-enhancing products. Our Oxy Low Carbon Ventures subsidiary is advancing leading-edge technologies and
business solutions that economically grow our business while reducing emissions. We are committed to using our global leadership in carbon management to advance a lower-carbon world. Visit oxy.com for more information.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Geophysicist within our Geoscience group based in Houston, TX.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Efficiently apply innovative and off the shelf practical workflows to improve the quality of Oxy's processed seismic data.
- Run post-migration pre-stack processing of 3D seismic surveys (onshore and offshore) starting from raw migrated gathers using novel processing workflows to generate improved stacks and gathers.
- Developing new workflows to improve subsalt amplitude fidelity, collaborating closely with our QI geophysicists and asset team interpreters.
- Apply fit-for-purpose post-stack cleaning and enhancement workflows for interpretation.
- Generate attributes for interpretation.
- Identify and fill gaps in our current processing workflows. Develop bespoke workflows for improved imaging, and develop best practice workflows.
- Work with WesternGeco to implement efficient Omega processing workflows at Oxy. Share learnings with Oxy geophysicists working with Omega processing software.
- Run PSDM migration of onshore seismic data using existing PSDM velocity model starting from migration input gathers.
- Demonstrate the application of novel demultiple techniques on challenging projects, having first run quick synthetic tests demonstrating proposed demultiple approach.
- Work closely with QI team to ensure processed data are ready for QI studies.
- Mentor junior team members, review their work and guide them to successful project completion.
- Generate reports and presentations demonstrating value of seismic processing.
- Collect and maintain set of best practice workflows from existing projects, document and make available for training purposes.
- Hold training sessions on different aspects of the processing workflow as needed.
- Identify opportunities to improve our Omega software / hardware configuration, and recommend improvements.
- Manage processing resources.
- Proven expert in onshore and offshore seismic data processing.
- Significant experience independently running multiple large and/or complex seismic processing projects simultaneously.
- Expert in seismic processing fundamentals (wavelet processing, deconvolution, statics, multiple and noise attenuation, PSTM and PSDM, survey merging).
- Knowledgeable about advanced seismic processing workflows (RTM, LSM, FWI, Compressive Sensing, Deblending, Rank Reduction Filtering, Curvelet transforms).
- Knowledgeable about impact on amplitude fidelity of seismic acquisition and processing steps.
- Must have clear understanding of modern QC processes.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving capabilities with the ability to make technically and economically sound recommendations with incomplete information and established drive for results.
- Creative thinker with a desire to challenge the status quo and conventional thinking with the ability to implement new ideas, processes and technologies.
- Coding experience (Fortran, Matlab, Python, etc.) for workflow development.
- Publication experience (for example, SEG Annual Meeting) highly desirable.
- A self-starter with excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Excellent English language skills to communicate information and evaluations in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in written format.
- Ability to contribute effectively and creatively as an individual and as a member of multidisciplinary teams.
- Functions well in team-based environment; can effectively establish and maintain peer relationships.
- Experienced coaching and mentoring others.
- Capable of handling multiple jobs simultaneously, planning projects independently and meeting tight deadlines.
- Is comfortable when dealing with ambiguity, and capable of managing changing priorities.
- Master's degree in Geophysics or closely related discipline is required.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in production seismic data processing.
- Desired Qualifications:
- Permian Basin, Gulf of Mexico, North Africa and/or Middle East seismic processing experience.
- Experience creating new seismic processing workflows (Omega preferred).
- A minimum of 6 years petroleum industry experience.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.