Add to Saved Jobs Back
We have an opening for a Temporary Help: Academic Advisor at Southwest Tennessee Community College!
This is a part-time seasonal position within the Department of Advising and Academic Support. The Professional Academic Advisor will provide academic guidance and advisement to students on policies, procedures, and program requirements to fulfill a certificate or degree program, and will proactively participate in the planning and delivery of academic advising services for students that promotes comprehensive educational opportunities; Responsible for sustaining an environment of academic and professional excellence for students along with providing proactive and timely outreach, referrals and intervention with student populations through a variety of communication methods. The Professional Academic Advisor maintains student engagement and follow through by tracking the advancement of students from inception to graduation.
This role will be responsible for the following:
Essential Job Functions:
The primary responsibility of this position is to advise students. The Academic Advisor will support students as they transition at various points throughout their academic careers at Southwest, which include:
- self- exploration that focuses on strengths, interests, and values,
- major and career exploration,
- identification of co-curricular, career and experience learning, and leadership opportunities to support both academic and professional development, and
- selection of major and development of an academic plan that aligns with strengths, aspirations, and abilities.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Candidates who are called for an interview must notify Human Resources in writing at least five (5) days in advance of any reasonable accommodation needed prior to the date of the interview .
- Bachelor's degree in education, counseling, human services or related field.
- Experience working with students in a post-secondary institution preferred.
- Ability to provide a high standard of customer service when assisting students with problem resolution and ability to seek input from alternate authority if necessary.
- Knowledge of University and degree requirements.
- Ability to keep up-to-date changes in policies and procedures to maintain current working knowledge.
- Knowledge of advising practices and principles.
- Ability to use good judgment and work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to record and maintain files accurately, in paper and software programs.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Knowledge of time management techniques.
- Ability to interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse populations.
- Ability to communicate efficiently.
- A background check will be required for the successful candidate.
The Salary Range for the position is: Commensurate with the Colleges pay scale
In order to be considered for the position, the following items must be uploaded:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
A summary of our benefits can be found below:
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are interested, click on the link to the left to apply.
Southwest Tennessee Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities