Job Objective: Under the direction of the Director of IT Operations, the Senior Security Engineer will provide security expertise and conduct security assessments on a Windows and Linux environment as well as new cloud technologies and services. The individual will work directly with the security team and system administrators to ensure secure configurations of Windows (and to a lesser extent Linux) based systems and applications including Active Directory, Federation Services, SQL, IIS, PKI, E-Mail and SharePoint.The individual will also provide guidance on secure configurations for appliance based solutions (routers, switches, etc.)
The individual will evaluate new technologies including cloud-based services for security risks and HIPAA/HITECH policy compliance and will provide security recommendations and mitigation strategies. The individual will lead projects to implement new tools to provide continued compliance with HIPAA|HITECH laws.
The individual will assess operational and technical controls in accordance with NIST Standards and generate security documentation to include System Security Plans, Security Assessment Reports, and Risk Assessments. Systems assessed may include non-Windows appliances and applications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide expertise in the secure configuration of and perform security assessments of 1) an enterprise Windows environment not including Windows applications, 2) a virtualized environment infrastructure, and 3) cloud-based applications
- Evaluate new technologies--including cloud-based services, for security risks and compliance issues
- Create system security plans
- Utilize vulnerability scanners and work with system owners to remediate vulnerabilities and configure systems to meet security baselines
- Lead implementation of security-based tools within the organization
- Lead the coordination of penetration test activities, conduct security assessments, and perform risk assessments in accordance with NIST standards and guidelines.
- Review system logs for potential of any unauthorized activities
- Proactively work with team members to identify and address security and compliance issues
- Assists in the development of associate level Security Engineers.
- Verifies network resources are HIPPA compliant
- Investigate intrusion incidents, conduct forensic investigations and mount incident responses
- Prepares productivity report which summarizes activities, issues and solutions with recommendations for overall system improvement
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of hardware/Operating Systems implementation and maintenance/support
- IDS/IPS, penetration and vulnerability testing
- Subnetting, DNS, encryption technologies and standards, VPNs, VLANs, VoIP and other network routing methods
- Network and web related protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, UDP, IPSEC, HTTP, HTTPS, routing protocols, etc.)
- Advanced Persistent Threats (APT), phishing and social engineering, network access controllers (NAC), gateway anti-malware and enhanced authentication
- Problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure
- Familiarity with web related technologies (Web applications, Web Services, and of network/web related protocols
- Expertise in securely configuring and assessing a Microsoft Windows environment including Active Directory, Federation Services, SQL, IIS, and SharePoint. Experience with secure configurations and assessment of non-Windows platforms.
- Experience using security scanners (e.g. Nessus, etc) and remediating vulnerabilities
- Expertise in securing a virtualized environment with solid knowledge of the VMWare platform.
- Hands on experience in security systems, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software, authentication systems, log management, content filtering, encryption etc
- Experience with network security and networking technologies and with system, security, and network monitoring tools
- Understanding of the latest security principles, techniques, and protocols
Core Competencies: All AVH employees will effectively demonstrate these behaviors:
Ethics & Values
Integrity & Trust
Education and Experience:
- 5+ years in information Security
- 8+ years experience building and managing Windows server platforms
- MCP / MCSE Preferred
- A Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent combination of relevant experience and education is preferred.
Required Licensure and/or Certifications:
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Work is performed in a normal office environment.
- Ability to lift boxes or equipment which weighs up to 25 pounds.
A detailed description of the physical requirements of this job is maintained in the Employee Health Department.
Looking for an opportunity to work in healthcare the way you always dreamed you could? At Antelope Valley Hospital, our employees are at the heart of what we do best delivering high quality, patient-centered healthcare.
Antelope Valley Hospital, a 420 bed acute care facility, located just 60 miles north of Los Angeles, the Antelope Valley is one of Southern Californias fastest growing communities. We are a Level II Trauma Center and Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center Accredited. Serving the community for over 50 years, our non-profit hospital has grown to be the preeminent healthcare facility for our districts nearly 1.2 million residents.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.