Our focus is on Embedded Linux and Open Source Software Expertise, Engineering Services, and Security.
Timesys is a pioneer and industry leader in embedded Linux open source software security, development tools, and engineering services spanning the embedded software market. With Timesys’ expertise, OEMs, ODMS, and design houses cut development costs and accelerate time-to-market for BSPs and devices, HMI / UX, security, and IoT systems and applications using embedded Linux, Android, FreeRTOS, and other open source solutions.
We are looking for senior engineers who are excited to lead projects and that develop, optimize and maintain Linux/Android based platforms. If you’re excited to lead services projects across various industries including medical, industrial, and more and you want to be a part of developing next-generation, real-world products, we want you as our Lead Embedded Software Engineer.
Job Location: Pittsburgh, PA USAnbsp;
You will take a lead architectural role on the team and help with technical management of projects. You will interact with both the Timesys Engineering Services and BSP Maintenance teams as well as with other teams within the Timesys organization. Most importantly, you will focus on the best ways to enhance customer experience, exceed customer expectations and grow our business.
What you will be doing:
- Lead and mentor a small team of Linux engineers on best practices and technical know-how
- Design / architect Linux application software per customer requirements
- Be the system software generalist, and take-up any technical challenge and resolve it through the right solution
- Be the Linux expert (kernel, CPU architecture, general device drivers, user-space) within the customer engineering team and enable customers in doing their Linux software development
- Collaborate with customers and internal teams to always enhance the overall project experience
- Risk assessment
- Contribute to the overall product design to help customers through various aspects of their product lifecycle
- Develop technical proposals to help customers make technical decisions
- Ensure the project deadlines are met and / or issues are proactively identified and communicated
- Manage project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- Maintain the project status, schedule, and resource allocation for all active projects worked on by the team
- Proactively notify sales of potential change order and drive it to completion as required on per-project basis
What we need to see:
- 7-10+ years of experience building and shipping embedded systems using Linux
- Experience with performance optimization, root cause analysis, and advanced troubleshooting at the kernel level
- Ability to interpret hardware schematics
- Proficiency in C, Git, and one more one or more build environments such as Yocto, Buildroot, OpenEmbedded
- Good breadth of technical knowledge (SoC, Linux software, tools, applications)
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while meeting tight schedules
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Ability to clearly explain complex technical issues and justify technical decisions
- Demonstrated experience of leading software projects while providing technical inputs to unblock supporting teams
- Keen sense of urgency and drive for results
- Over and above, a deep commitment to your own quality work and a strong desire to help the entire team to succeed
?Ways to stand out from the crowd:
- Experience with Linux device drivers and bootloaders is a strong plus.
- Experience working with open source communities to fix bugs, add features is a plus.
- Experience with one or more build environments such as Yocto, Buildroot, OpenEmbedded, and Android is a strong plus.
- Experience with optimizing system performance using tools such as profilers and tracers is a plus.
- Experience with real-time operating systems is a strong plus.
- Scripting and automation experience with Python, bash or similar languages is a strong plus
- Experience debugging issues on an embedded device using an oscilloscope is a strong plus.
- Familiarity with security features such as SELinux, verified boot and trusted execution environments is a plus.
- Opportunity to work on cutting-edge open source technologies
- Wide variety of challenging projects to choose from
- Casual work environment