Maintenance Technician I - Durham, NC
+ **Please wait...**
**Date:** Aug 23, 2021
**Location:** Durham, NC, US, 27712
Requisition Number: 42864
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise inspecialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning’s Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
The purpose of this position is: Leads preventative maintenance activities, troubleshoots processes and process equipment, and executes equipment repairs/modifications.
This position includes significant duties such as:
• Troubleshoots equipment breakdowns and performs mechanical, pneumatic, and electrical maintenance whenever required to ensure uninterrupted customer supply.
• Repairs, rebuilds, adjusts, inspects, and monitors production and/or facility related equipment and machinery.
• Completes required preventive maintenance at defined intervals in Tabware system. Routinely assesses the suitability of such intervals and scope covered and revises when necessary.
• Operation includes: monitoring output quality and quantity; troubleshooting; making necessary machine / parameter adjustments where applicable; and alleviating minor jams.
• Provides technical support for troubleshooting equipment problems which are beyond the Production Associate’s capability to address.
• Responsible for the waste removal for hazardous materials and tools.
• Implements equipment modifications or improvements.
• Reads prints to make mechanical repairs on molding machines and associated sub-systems.
• This includes correcting molding processes as necessary to ensure molded components meet or exceed quality expectations.
• Performs other duties as required to meet the needs of the department and company.
• Participates in Quality activities in functional area and coordinates with the appropriate audience to arrive at the critical decisions necessary for the correct disposition of product as assigned. This includes verifying the correct set-up of molding machines and auxiliary equipment before processing.
• Communicates status of technical issues with leadership team. Expected to use Lean tools (e.g., 5S, 20 Keys, etc.) per current procedures.
• Works with hand tools, lockout/tagout, chemicals, etc., demonstrating proper safety precautions.
• Completes production records / forms recording relevant data onto forms or via electronic data entry in Tabware or other systems. Ensures accuracy and good documentation practices per company and cGMP standards.
• Operates molding machines utilizing activities such as set-up and processing when required.
Working Conditions: Disagreeable working conditions. Exposure to industrial machinery, moving parts, electrical and other energy sources. Designated Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required. Exposure to fumes and chemicals such as cleaners, inks, and solvents. Exposure to high frequency noise. Frequently lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds and up to 65 pounds rarely.
Education: High School diploma or GED
Experience: 3-5 years manufacturing experience with two years of responsibilities for equipment maintenance troubleshooting or equivalent military experience.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
**Nearest Major Market:** Durham
**Nearest Secondary Market:** Raleigh
+ **Please wait...**