## Position Description
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC. We are seeking a highly motivated, creative analyst to join a dynamic diverse group providing superior mechanical and aeronautical engineering services and products to address the hard challenges for programs of national importance.
**Job Summary:** Analyze and evaluate the thermal response and Electro-Optic/Infrared (EO/IR) signature of missiles, rocket motor plumes, wakes and trails in endo and exo-atmospheric flight conditions supporting ballistic missile defense technology development and other programs. Develop and extend innovative thermal and EO/IR numerical simulation capabilities for existing and new phenomenologies.
**Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):**
1. Create numerical models to predict EO/IR signature phenomenology's of missiles, rocket motor plumes, wakes, trails and the relevant background scenes in endo and exo-atmospheric flight conditions in support of ballistic missile defense technology development and other programs. (20%)
2. Aerothermal analyses of Thermal Protection System (TPS) composites exposed to thermo-chemical ablation and mechanical erosion at high temperatures. (20%)
3. Improve modeling of radiation thermal and EO/IR transport. (20%)
4. Develop and extend the analytical capabilities used for intensive numerical analyses and associated graphical applications using the LINUX operating system. (20%)
5. Compare predictions with wind tunnel, laboratory and flight test data and literature. (10%)
6. Document results in technical memorandum and publications, present findings to government agencies and professional societies. (10%)
**_Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time._**
MS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or related science. Highly knowledgeable in one or more of the following areas. Aerothermal heating, radiation thermal and EO/IR transport, hypersonics, thermo-chemical ablation and mechanical erosion, CFD, reacting flows, plume IR emissions, turbulence, transition and diffusion. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Ability to obtain a Secret level clearance.
PhD and/or greater than four years experience in aerothermodynamics, radiation transport in a participating medium, CFD, nonlocal thermal equilibrium processes, IR signature predictions of hardbodies, plumes, wakes, trails, backgrounds including atmospheric path radiance and transmission losses, thermal-structural analysis of thermal protection system composites at temperature. Familiarity of various bidirectional reflectance distribution function models and phenomenologies. Extensive C/C++ programming experience writing codes using state-of-the-art scientific computing techniques.
**Special Working Conditions: **Occasional travel to sponsor, contractor, and peer organization facilities for meetings and reviews.
**Security:** Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
**Why work at APL?**
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationâ€™s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLâ€™s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
*Primary Location:* *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel
*Req ID:* 21654