Assists with laboratory testing on patient specimens. Under direction, may provide information for the diagnosis and treatment. Helps to maintain records of performance and utilizes independent judgment to generate acceptable test results. Performs all tasks according to standard operating procedures. Assists with development and modification of procedures and assumes additional responsibilities as outlined by management or the laboratory director.
• Requires Bachelor's degree in a related science (Certification is not required); Associate Degree in an approved Medical Laboratory Technician Program or a Medical Laboratory Specialist (Laboratory Technician) certification from an official military medical laboratory procedures course of at least 50 weeks duration, dependent on when coursework was completed.
• Associate degree requires certification (NCA, AMT, ASCP, HEW, and CLA) within 12 months of employment. Failure to achieve would result in downgrade to Lab Assistant II position until certification is achieved or loss of employment, dependent on business need.
• Requires knowledge of various laboratory techniques and procedures.
• Requires working knowledge of laboratory testing equipment and routine maintenance procedures.
• Requires ability to maintain quality control and other records.
• Requires working knowledge of computers.
• Requires knowledge of all laboratory safety regulations and protocols.