The Mental Health Tech/Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), is a member of the health care team who assists in the delivery of total patient care, under the direction of a Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN).
MISSION, VALUES AND BELIEFS
• Demonstrates the Verity mission, purpose, values and beliefs in everyday language and contact with patients, the public and other staff members.
QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF WORK
Provides safe, effective and efficient implementation of psychiatric care to geropsychiatric patients in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
• Establishes and maintains a therapeutic relationship with patients utilizing positive approaches.
• Co-facilitates designated groups and activities appropriate to the CNA/ MHT level of competency. Documents patient attendance and level of participation.
• Is familiar with and implements patient treatment plan interventions.
• Monitors assigned patients behavior and location as directed by the RN in charge of the unit. Documents as directed every 15 minutes or other time intervals as required. This may include specialized monitoring for a patient on a 1:1 or who is in restraints or seclusion.
• Documents patient activities of daily living, response to interventions, and significant behavior changes as appropriate.
• Assists in admitting and discharging patients as assigned, this includes completing associated documentation.
• Collects stool, urine and other specimens, as requested, on assigned patients.
• Obtains patients vital signs and weights, as assigned.
• Assists patients with all ADL’s as their identified needs require.
• Assists patients at mealtime by distributing meal trays, pouring beverages and/or feeding clients in need of assistance.
• Demonstrates commitment to teamwork by attending shift report and following proper hand off procedures.
TEAM MEMBER PARTICIPATION
• Participates as a team member and provides input via reporting observations, concerns and asking appropriate questions.
• Reviews and implements patient treatment plan interventions.
• Informs the charge RN in a timely manner of patient behavior and condition, particularly changes in mental and/or physical condition
• Observes, records and reports patient social, psychiatric and physical behavior to the charge RN.
• Completes admission documentation to include vital signs, weight, clothing inventory, contraband search results or other appropriate tasks assigned by the charge RN.
JUDGEMENT, DECISION MAKING AND INITIATIVE
• Demonstrates knowledge and proper use of equipment and supplies.
• Promotes and assists patients in developing self help skills.
• Explains geropsychiatric policies and procedures to patients and their families.
• Demonstrates knowledge of nursing policies and procedures as they relate to direct and indirect patient care.
RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHERS
• Demonstrates a good rapport and cooperative working relationships with all members of the team; responds to co?workers with concern and promotes group morale.
• Maintains an effective and courteous working relationship with patients and other staff members through the use of appropriate interpersonal skills.
• Protects the confidentiality of employee and patient information.
• Continually focuses on assigned tasks and seeks and implements improvements as necessary.
• Understands and demonstrates the safety program in all activities.
• Protects patients from behavior that could damage themselves or others.
• Acts in a professional manner, always demonstrating respect and understanding of the community and neighborhood when representing the Program in the community.
PLANNING AND TIME UTILIZATION
• Completes and follows through with tasks and assignments, meeting expected deadlines.
ATTENDANCE AND RELIABILITY
• Understands and demonstrates knowledge of all policies associated with attendance and tardiness.
• Attends all assigned in-service education classes.
• Role models excellent professional practice.
• Always dresses appropriately and professionally.
CUSTOMER AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
• Demonstrates knowledge of the program’s patients including patient/patient’s families and governmental agencies in all interactions and conduct.
• Acts in a professional manner, always demonstrating respect and understanding of the community and neighborhood when representing Telecare in the community.
+ Completion of an accredited Certified Nursing Assistant program or completion of the first year of nursing school.
+ Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology or related field preferred
+ One year Geriatric Psych experience preferred.
+ Current CA Certified Nurse Assistant certificate.
+ Current American Heart Association BLS certification
+ Completion of an Acute Care C.N.A. program.
+ Crisis Prevention Intervention certification required within the first 3 months of hire.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES & KNOWLEDGE:
+ Knowledge of basic nursing skills is essential
+ Effective written and verbal communication skills
+ Ability to use problem-solving techniques are required
+ Ability to interact with geriatric patients to determine their needs is essential
+ Able to understand and follow all policies, procedures, guidelines, rules and regulations of the assigned unit, Nursing Service, Seton Medical Center, Title XXII, JCHAO and other applicable state and federal laws.
+ Able to work under stress and accurately perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
+ Possesses good judgment and functions within required supervision.
+ Normal or corrected near and far vision, in addition to non-inhibiting color vision.
+ May read constantly for short durations throughout the day
+ Constant talking and hearing throughout the work day. Must be alert to patient condition and environmental situations.
AHMC- Seton Medical Center has a long tradition of providing patient-centered, quality care and a commitment to clinical excellence and our community. Founded in 1893, the 357-bed medical center now serves 1.5 million residents of San Francisco and northern San Mateo County with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical specialties, as well as emergency and urgent care services. Its sister facility, Seton Coastside, is a 116-bed skilled nursing complex offering inpatient care and the only 24-hour standby Emergency Department on the Pacific Coast between Daly City and Santa Cruz. We pride ourselves on improving the health and well-being of our patients, community, and populations, we serve with high quality community partnerships, and continuous innovation to our health care delivery system and this is why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to deliver the safest and highest quality patient-centered care
iCIMS Assigned Requisition ID: req9203
External Company Name: AHMC Healthcare
Street: 1900 Sullivan Ave