## Position Description
We are seeking motivated and hardworking engineers, mathematicians, and scientists to help us develop the next generation of solutions to our nationâ€™s most challenging precision strike problems. We need creative and innovative thinkers that will push the boundaries of capability by thinking creatively, taking risks, and collaborating across a team of engineers to develop the enabling technology for cruise missiles, ballistic and hypersonic missiles, and unmanned aerial systems, so the United States can maintain its military dominance.
As the Systems Engineer, you will work collaboratively with United States Government stakeholders and industry partners responsible for the development of hypersonic weapons for the armed forces. You will represent APL to provide direct systems engineering support to the sponsor and to coordinate engineering services with APL team members to serve the technical needs of the program.
* Assisting the government sponsor in systems engineering activities such as developing requirements, identifying trade studies, developing interface control documents, planning tests, and assessing risks
* Leading engineer teams in conducting trade studies; assessing hypersonic weapons subsystem and system level performance; conducting detailed physics-based engineering analysis of different engineering disciplines including structures, dynamics, thermal, and fluids; and analyzing test data
* Producing and presenting technical briefings to the sponsor and producing other technical documentation
**You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...**
* Have a B.S. degree in Engineering or similar field
* Have a minimum of 5 years of applicable experience in weapon systems engineering to include design, analysis, fabrication, integration and testing.
* Have proven experience successfully developing a new technical system
* Have strong interpersonal skills working in a team environment with positive interaction
* Have experience with aerospace industry
* Can support ccasional travel by vehicle, aircraft, etc. to other government and contractor facilities as required. Travel could be as much as 25% at times. Majority of work occurs in secure facilities
* Have an active Secret or higher level clearance. Applicant selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information up to the Secret level. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship
**You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...**
* Have a M.S. or PhD in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering or related field
* Have 10 plus years of relevant experience
* Have experience with hypersonic air vehicle development (system design, aero-thermal-structural analyses, high temperature materials), applicable across hypersonic flight regimes
* Have experience developing hypersonic air vehicles with and without propulsion
* Have integration and test experience associated with developing new missile systems
**Why work at APL?**
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationâ€™s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLâ€™s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.****____
#LI-BM1 #APL-BW1 #22230
*Primary Location:* *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel
*Req ID:* 22230