## Position Description
Are you interested in applying your knowledge of motor neurophysiology to help design state-of-the-art brain machine interfaces?
Are you motivated by being part of a world-class, multidisciplinary team within an applied research setting?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a motor neurophysiology expert to help us develop state-of-the-art strategies for humans to control complex robotic and intelligent systems with spiking neural signals from implanted arrays. You'll join our team of neuroscientists, roboticists, and software engineers in our mission to develop the next generation of brain-machine interface (BMI) system. Our team of BMI experts works with clinical collaborators to build bidirectional closed-loop neural interfaces for human subjectswith implanted microelectrode arrays. We also collaborate with machine learning experts at APL to build novel BMI systems which collaborate with artificial intelligence (AI) to enable control of complex systems.
As a Motor Neurophysiology Post-Doctoral Researcher...
* Your primary responsibility will be to lead research and development state-of-the-art closed-loop control strategies for neuroprosthetic systems
* You will communicate information about planned experiments and the results of data analyses to internal and external stakeholders and research sponsors
* You will acquire neural signals and behavioral data from human participants performing movements and/or cognitive tasks
* You will collaborate with machine learning experts to design novel strategies for teaming between a brain-machine interface user and an artificially intelligent agent or algorithm
* You will design and perform novel analyses of neural signals collected during human movements and/or cognitive tasks
* You will write scientific manuscripts and whitepapers summarizing results for conferences and peer reviewed journals
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
* Have a Ph.D. in neuroscience, biomedical engineering, or a related discipline
* Are familiar with spike sorting techniques and applying machine learning algorithms to spiking neural signals
* Have strong verbal and written communication skills
* Have experience acquiring neural signals and movement data from humans and/or nonhuman primates
* Have experience programming in MATLAB and/or C/C++
* Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You meet our desired qualifications for the job if you...
* Have experience working with Blackrock neural signal acquisition hardware and software.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationâ€™s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLâ€™s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
*Primary Location:* *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel
*Req ID:* 23406