NP or PA - Blake 12 Multidiscliplinary ICU
Great opportunity for Nurse Practitioner to work in a Multi-Specialty ICU.
This 18-bed intensive state-of-the art unit provides multi-specialty, patient-
centered care, focused on integrated expertise and operational excellence.
This unit is the primary assignment for critically ill patients benefitting
from multidisciplinary care. For example: complex surgical patients including,
trauma patients; liver transplant patients - both pre-and-post surgery;
various types of critically ill surgical patients, neurologic both medical and
surgical, medical patients, and other patients requiring intensive care. Under
the administrative direction of the Medical Director and Nursing Director of
the Intensive Care Unit, the NP manages a wide spectrum of patients.
Management includes, but is not limited to critical care interventions,
intensive care monitoring, diagnosing and prescribing treatments,
therapeutics, and medications, coordinating referrals and discharging patients
from the ICU. In collaboration with a multidisciplinary care team, (s)he would
be responsible for establishing, implementing and evaluating the ICU course of
treatment and the coordination and communication of the treatment plan. The NP
will have a key role in patient and family teaching, while promoting
competent, compassionate nursing care for patients and families. S(he) will
serve as a role model for professional nursing practice.
Advanced Nurse Practitioner
**_GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: _**
Develops, implements and evaluates a program of specialized health care for a
select patient population. Promotes a collaborative relationship and effort
between the medical staff and professional nurses toward continuity of patient
care and efficient use of resources. Serves as a role model for professional
**_PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: _**
Provides direct care to a select patient population in collaboration with the
* Performs and records the patient history and physical exam and discusses findings with the physician.
* Utilizes advanced nursing knowledge to identify, prevent or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems.
* Follows and manages patients (in collaboration with MD) enhancing continuity of care.
* Performs (oversees/assures completion of) specialized procedures particular to the select population mutually agreed upon with collaborating physician.
* Performs medically delegated aspects of patient care as agreed upon by nursing and medical administrators according to practice guidelines.
* Collaborates with unit staff and physicians to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordinate resources.
* Writes orders which are in accord with current guidelines.
* Maintains and practices in accord with practitioner guidelines per state and hospital
* Provides consultation to both nurses and physicians.
* Serves as a resource to staff in area(s) of expertise.
* Serves on appropriate intra and interdepartmental committees.
* Participates in the development of formal and informal educational programs for the unit-based nursing staff.
* Develops educational programs within area of expertise.
* Collaborates with unit staff, Clinical Educators, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Staff Specialists and other health care professionals to meet staff and patient educational needs.
* Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
* Collaborates with nurse managers, clinical nurses and medical staff to plan, implement and evaluate pertinent change in practice and health care delivery.
* Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay and over utilization of services.
* Facilitates patient movement through the system and efficient use of resources through interdepartmental collaboration.
* Supports research efforts to advance knowledge and to promote research-based practice.
* Evaluates own practice and program effectiveness.
* Identifies pertinent nursing and health delivery problems for investigation.
* Evaluates current research findings for clinical specialty and determines applicability to unit practice.
* Assists nursing and medical colleagues in research efforts.
* Conducts own research.
* Responsible for own professional growth and maintenance of required credentials.
* Maintains the standards and educational requirements specific to the position and licensure.
* Identifies own learning needs and goals.
* Takes responsibilities for leadership and participation on committees and task forces of the DON and the hospital.
* Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current health care practice/research.
* Valid Massachusetts RN in good standing.
* Masters Degree in Nursing.
* ICU RN or NP experience.
**_SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: _**
* Demonstrated competence in specialized area.
* Inpatient hospital setting
Current active licensure in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a Registered
Nurse Current authorization to practice as a nurse practitioner from the
Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing required and one of the
following: 1\. Certification from a national certifying body acceptable to
the Board of Registration in Nursing as a Critical Care Nurse Practitioner
with ICU experience either as an NP or RN of no less than 3 years; or 2.
Certification from a national certifying body acceptable to the Board of
Registration in Nursing as an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner with ICU
experience either as an NP or RN of no less than 3 years; or 3. Demonstration
of other reasonable and acceptable nurse practitioner certification from a
certifying body acceptable to the Board of Registration in Nursing, with
direct Nurse Practitioner ICU experience of no less than 3 years. Certified
in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Critical care appropriate thinking and
clinical judgment skills Technological proficiency Ability to maintain a calm
and professional demeanor in a complex environment Ability to attain and
maintain specialized knowledge, skills and abilities to perform complex
functions, often under pressure Must be able to work 40 hours per week (3-13
hour shifts) on a day/night rotation including weekends and holidays.
**Primary Location: **MA-Boston-MGH Main Campus
**Work Locations: **
**Organization: **Massachusetts General Hospital
**Job Posting: **Jan 16, 2020