Balchem Corporation (Nasdaq:BCPC) is a publicly traded global specialty chemicals company with $500 million plus in revenue and north of $2.5 billion market cap, having witnessed steady growth over the past five years. The Company was founded in 1967 and is based in New Hampton, NY (Hudson Valley area). Balchem develops, manufactures, and markets specialty performance ingredients and products for the food, nutritional, feed, pharmaceutical, and medical sterilization industries in the United States and internationally. The Company consists of four business segments: Human Nutrition & Health; Animal Nutrition & Health; Specialty Products; and Industrial Products and employs over 1,000 people worldwide who are engaged in many diverse activities, developing the company into chosen market leadership positions. To learn more about our dynamic, stable and growing company, visit www.balchem.com.
The Product Development Engineer is a member of the R&D Group based in New Hampton, NY (Corporate Headquarters). The position reports to the Manager of Particle Engineering group. The Product Development Engineer will participate in a wide variety of projects, with an emphasis on developing processes used to manufacture microencapsulated and agglomerated materials for the food, nutraceutical, personal care, pharmaceutical, and animal nutrition markets. In this role, the candidate will be working on the interface between R&D and manufacturing, and will develop scientific data on the lab and pilot plant level to allow for transition into manufacturing. The candidate will work closely with the engineering talent in manufacturing and will attend plant trials.
The Product Development Engineer will act as a team member, and on occasion be a Technical Project Leader, for new product development projects. This role is both strategic and tactical in nature, and is for someone who enjoys the challenge of innovation. The candidate will participate in new process and product developments, process and product improvements, conducting lab scale and bench top experiments, commercialization studies for new products, conducting product characterization studies, applications and performing analytical work. The Product Development Engineer will also support technical research and customer support on existing and new product lines.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop an understanding of and demonstrate the ability to manufacture microencapsulated ingredients using Balchem Corporation proprietary technology and fluid bed hot melt technology.
- Act as either a Technical Project Leader, or a team member, for research projects to design, develop and improve new and existing product portfolio.
- Works closely with Operations, QA and functional business partners to develop and test product development solutions for new product launches and to troubleshoot issues with existing products and processes.
- Oversees and carries out hands-on pilot scale trials. Create test run conditions to observe how manufacturing equipment operates according to design or modification and to determine if the process is carried out consistent with required specifications and quality control standards; make any required changes to equipment and/or processes involved to ready the operation for full scale production.
- Leads scale-ups of pilot plant test run to commercial scale equipment.
- Troubleshoot production problems relating to raw materials, equipment, and/ or processing conditions. Document findings
- Maintains documentation of all aspects of project work, and other activities sufficiently to enable filing of patents where appropriate and to provide a record for future reference.
- Assists in the preparation of presentations and reports to communicate results.
- Understands regulatory requirements and work to ensure compliance.
- Follows and enforces all safety policies and procedures including use of safety equipment (PPE) and equipment safeguards. Works to advance and promote the safety culture of the site.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field required. Will consider candidates with a BS in Food Science
- 2-4 years industrial experience in process or product development and commercialization
- 1-2 years of bench top laboratory and pilot plant experience preferred
- Excellent communication, influencing, and problem solving skills
- Highly self-motivated individual comfortable working individually and able to manage multiple tasks and projects efficiently within the context of a fast-paced, busy environment
- Ability to apply prior learning or scientific principles to new situations
- Ability to exhibit a collaborative mindset and apply innovative solutions are a must
- Knowledge of Food Safety, HACCP preferred