Utilizing the nursing process, provides high quality direct and indirect patient –centered care. Coordinates patient care by working collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team, patients and families. Communicates, as appropriate, the patient's clinical condition, responding quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served. Promotes the profession of nursing and professional practice through collegial support and interactions. Reports to the Clinical Nurse Manager.
+ Must be a graduate of an accredited school of Nursing and have and maintain current a Registered Nurse license in the State of Connecticut.
+ Must have certification in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) upon hire.
+ Previous surgical or labor and delivery, specifically assisting with C-sections, experience required.
+ Must be able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing and possess basic computer skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Disclaimer: Job descriptions are not intended, nor should they be construed to be, exhaustive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. They are intended to be accurate reflections of the principal duties and responsibilities of this position. These responsibilities and competencies listed below may change from time to time.
1. Performs population-specific comprehensive assessments and re-assessments of the patient's condition and care needs including the psychosocial, physical, educational and cultural aspects.
2. Utilizing assessment data, collaborates with surgical team to define, implement and evaluate an individualized plan of care for each surgical patient.
3. Follows the five (5) medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors. Demonstrates knowledge of medications and their correct administration based on age of the patient and their clinical condition. Follows Surgical Services policy for medication safety.
4. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and promotes positive patient outcomes; follows ECHN policy for Patient Identification, Surgical & Invasive Procedures Site Identification, and Time-Out.
5. Documents the nursing process and responses to care in a timely manner utilizing the appropriate tools.
6. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations. Utilizes critical thinking skills and sound judgment in priority setting and delegation.
7. Demonstrates autonomous practice, consistent with evidence-based standards. Pursues personal and professional growth and development. Serves as a professional role model and mentor.
8. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the lifespan and the skills necessary to provide age-appropriate care to patients served. Able to interpret data about the patient status in order to identify each patient's age-specific needs and provide care needed by the patient group.
9. Provides an accurate and pertinent report of the patient's condition for safe transfer of care.
+ Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies, and equipment for each surgical procedure.
+ Demonstrates knowledge of and assures maintenance of aseptic technique throughout the surgical procedure; identifies and communicates, to surgical team, any breaks in technique and assists with corrective actions.
+ Effectively communicates with the surgeon in accounting for all sponges, needles, and instruments; reports discrepancies immediately to surgeon and Team Leader; appropriately documents all counts.
+ Accurately records, handles, labels and processes specimens.
+ Demonstrates ability to effectively function in the scrub role.