Professional Staff/ School Social Worker
TITLE: SCHOOL SOCIAL WORKER (Mattawan)
Position to Begin 2019-20 School Year
REPORTS TO: Special Education Supervisor
JOB GOAL(S): The primary job goal of the School Social Worker is to assist special education students to fully develop their individual potentials socially, emotionally, physically and intellectually.
Education: Masters degree in social work required
Certification: Michigan approval as a school social worker or eligible for approval and registered with Board of Social Work, Michigan Department of Community Health required
Work Experience: Previous experience in the area of school social work or experience in graduate field placement in school settings preferred
Skills: Ability to apply the following essential skill areas in services to schools:
*problem identification and assessment
*knowledge of functional assessment/behavior plans
*school-community liaison (community organization)
*write performance goals and objectives for special education students
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Complete comprehensive evaluation/report of students in response to a special education referral.
2. Participate in educational planning, analyzing behavior and developing interventions.
3. Participate in IEPTs.
4. Provide services to special education students as assigned on the IEP.
5. Effectively communicate, consult and team with parents, staff, agencies and others.
6. Keep local schools informed of the status of referrals and services.
7. Adhere to Van Buren ISD policies and procedures.
8. Complete assigned responsibilities within agreed upon or established time lines.
9. Perform additional tasks, responsibilities and duties as assigned by the special education supervisor.
It is the policy of the Van Buren Intermediate School District that no discriminatory practices based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation or transgender identity), disability, age, height, weight, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information or any other legally protected category (collectively, Protected Classes), be allowed in its programs and activities, including employment opportunities. Inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to Barbara Matthews, Director of Finance & Operations or Dave Manson, Assistant Superintendent, 490 S. Paw Paw Street, Lawrence, MI 49064, 269-674-8091.