## Position Description
Do you have extensive experience solving broad, complex problems in the national security arena that have a critical impact on our nation now and into the future?
Do you have demonstrated strengths in at least two of the following areas relevant to national security challenges?
* Application of mathematics, sciences, or engineering to unstructured operational problems.
* Operational analysis with technical expertise.
* Application of social science methodologies to unstructured operational problems.
* Cost analysis experience.
* Modeling and simulation experience.
* Policy, strategy, or legal analysis of operational or technical problems.
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team in the National Security Analysis Department (NSAD) at APL. Our mission is to provide groundbreaking analyses that offer possible technical solutions to the Nation's challenges and shape the long-term analytic strategy of APL.
We are seeking hard working individuals to help us conduct insightful quantitative and qualitative analyses that address critical national security and military challenges. We use a defined, rigorous, and defendable process, to deeply understand the major elements of those challenges across the whole of the operational and strategic context, to draw insights that inform critical National Security decisions.
Our team tackles challenges like technical systems performance, operational mission effectiveness, training and proficiency assessment, real world operations, ally and partner interoperability, policy and legal concerns, and many other technical and operational factors that craft a rich tapestry of interwoven matters. You will work collaboratively with analysts and specialists throughout the organization and help us foster a work environment that values diversity.
**As a Senior Analyst in the National Security Analysis Department...**
* Your primary responsibility will be to lead and conduct technical and operations analysis of current and future technological systems to gain deep understanding of their operational usage and associated training, logistical, command, control, and communications, doctrinal, policy, and organizational considerations to support our senior decision maker sponsors.
* You will lead internal study efforts related to novel national security topics requiring development of new analytic approaches and technical or operational solutions.
* You will develop analysis plans, identify effectiveness measures and data requirements, craft analytic approaches, interpret results, and document and communicate results to sponsors.
* You will document your work in internal and peer-reviewed publications and present your work to diverse audience, including colleagues, Laboratory leadership, and senior government sponsors.
* You will develop strategies for future studies and analysis throughout the Laboratory through engagement with current and potential sponsors and subject matter experts within the national security community.
**You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...**
* Possess a deep understanding of National Security Strategy and strategic issues, with experience using a variety of analytic techniques to address these issues.
* Have demonstrated knowledge of a diverse set of research and analytic techniques and have shown an ability to conduct operations analyses.
* Have 12 or more years of experience supporting the Department of Defense or U.S. government in applying analytic techniques to address technical, operational, or strategic issues.
* Possess superb oral and written communications skills; particularly, the ability to articulate complex issues to senior decision makers.
* Can build positive relationships with government sponsors and are comfortable engaging with senior level sponsors independently and as part of a team.
* Are a superb organizer and planner, with a demonstrated ability to operate independently leading and managing large projects.
* Have a Master's degree in the physical sciences, mathematics, operation research, engineering, social sciences, or a related discipline.
* Are able to obtain a TS/SCI level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
**You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...**
* Have a Doctoral degree in the physical sciences, mathematics, operations research, social sciences, or a related discipline, or a Juris Doctorate.
* Have demonstrated leadership experience in studies and analysis with a University Affiliated Research Center, a Federally Funded Research and Development Center, or an equivalent analytic organization.
* Are a recognized thought leader in areas related to national security, military, homeland defense, or related interagency operations
**Why work at APL?**
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationâ€™s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLâ€™s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
*Primary Location:* *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel
*Req ID:* 22076