The National Robotics Engineering Center is seeking a qualified Senior Mechanical Engineer. Candidate must have experience developing electro/mechanical products from research concepts to commercial product prototypes. Abilities should include: CAD design, Finite Element Analysis experience and mechanical assembly. The job of Senior Mechanical Engineer requires formal engineering education or training, superior problem solving skills, and independent decision-making ability. Responsibilities include designing and building mechanical systems in a team setting. The engineer develops these products from research idea to commercial product prototype. The engineer is also required to work with representatives from industrial partner organizations to refine prototype designs to the exact industrial needs.
You will _have an impact in shaping the robotics revolution_, _collaborate with and learn from experts,_ and _build your career in a very fast-growing field_. As part of our team, you will develop solutions to solve industrial and government challenges, deploy your technology in real-world situations, work side-by-side with elite robotics experts, and develop a variety of cutting-edge technologies.
**Have an Impact!**
* Remove waste from farming = more food (link)
* Make industrial processes environmentally friendly (link)
* Make hazardous jobs safer (link)
* Improve efficiency in industry & manufacturing (link)
* Accelerate screening of pharmaceuticals (link)
**Take Control of Your Career!**
* Select the career pathway that interests you
* Influence the direction of projects
* Supportive of a non-standard schedule
* Maintain work/life balance
* Switch between part-time and full-time as life demands
NREC is at the center of the robotics ecosystem in Pittsburgh, PA. With over 60 robotics companies, Pittsburgh has become the robotics capital of the world. Geek Wire calls it Robotics Row; others call it Roboburgh. Join the leader in the most exciting time in robotics!
**Join the best robotics R&D group**
Join our talented team at NREC, an operating unit within the world-renowned Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
NREC has 20+ years of experience and is globally renowned for developing and deploying robots into many applications across multiple sectors, such as agriculture, mining, defense, energy, and manufacturing. We strive to provide solutions for real world challenges where automation and robots have greater impact on productivity and improve the safety and comfort of the labor force. Our unique expertise places us at the forefront of unmanned ground vehicle design, autonomy, sensing and perception, machine learning, machine vision, operator assistance, 3D mapping and position estimation. With over 120 robotics professionals, we can solve challenges that no other organization can.
NREC also leads in educational outreach through its Robotics Academy, which builds robotics curricula and software for K-12 and college-level students.
**Your primary responsibilities include:**
* Designing, developing, and analyzing mechanical and electromechanical systems for robots and industrial automation
* Developing CAD models and drawings of mechanical assemblies
* Assembling and testing mechanisms
* Working with cross functional teams to develop design requirements
* Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering plus 3 or more years design process experience or
* Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering plus 7 or more years design process experience
* Proven track record of developing complex mechanical systems
* Effective organizational, planning, project management, public speaking and analytical skills required
* Some technical writing experience required
* Independent judgment and problem-solving abilities
* 3D modeling experience required (Solidworks preferred)
* Successful background check
**We especially want to hear from you if you have experience or qualifications in ANY of the following areas:**
* Experience with structural design and analysis for large structures
**Opportunities people at NREC have seized:**
As a member of NREC, you have the opportunity to take control of your career. People in similar roles have shaped their careers to suit their interests and their needs.
* Becoming an in-depth expert in a technical area
* Leading projects and fostering client relationships
* Receiving mentoring from senior engineers and robotics experts
* Mentoring junior engineers
* Taking courses at Carnegie Mellon
* Staying connected with academic and recreational activities at Carnegie Mellon
* Transitioned into a robotics, program management, technical lead, or software architecture roles
* Performing consulting during off time
* Outreach to K-12 and college-level students
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
**Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.**
*Job Function:* Engineering
*Primary Location:* United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
*Req ID:* 2014245
*Time Type:* Full Time
*Minimum Education Level:* Master's Degree