Rayonier Advanced Materials is the leading global manufacturer of forest products, including lumber, paper, packaging and a global leader of high purity cellulose, a natural polymer commonly found in cell phones, computer screens, filters and pharmaceuticals. With manufacturing operations in the U.S., Canada and France, Rayonier Advanced Materials employs approximately 4,200 people and generates approximately US$2 billion of revenues.
Rayonier Advanced Materials intellectual property and manufacturing processes have been developed over 86 years, resulting in unique properties and very high quality and consistency. Rayonier Advanced Materials is consistently ranked among the nations top 50 exporters and delivers products to 79 ports around the world, serving customers in 20 countries across five continents.
Located in Coastal Georgia, the Senior Scientist is responsible for creating new and improved products and processes to meet customer needs in the Cellulose Specialties business of Performance Fibers. The Senior Scientist plays a key role in our new product development, as well as our customer technical marketing support.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Customer and manufacturing support
- Problem resolution (process or product)
- Participating on or leading project teams
- Working closely with other technical personnel
- Designing and running experiments
- Developing laboratory test methods
- Coaching and teaching junior scientists
- Conducting chemical analysis
- Writing technical reports
- Managing lab equipment and facilities
- Advanced science or Applied science degree required. Ph.D. in pulp and paper science, organic chemistry or polymer chemistry preferred
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with advanced analytical instruments such as HPLC, GC/MS and GPC and leading process/product development project teams
- Proven invention record patents filed or granted
- Excellent professional knowledge
- Strong laboratory and computer skills and the ability to make sound decisions in a timely manner
- Excellent communication, teaching and interpersonal skills
- Ability to independently lead project teams and organize team activities
- Verbal and written fluency in English required