## Position Description
Do you have experience in space systems engineering with a background in fault analysis?
Do you enjoy working in a collaborative environment with top scientists and engineers?
Do you want to be part of a team exploring our solar system or pioneering space missions that enhance our national security?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a space systems engineer to help us design, implement, and test fault management systems for our civil and national security space missions. This engineer will have an opportunity to identify and analyze problems as well as design effective and achievable solutions by utilizing a combination of technical and creative talent. Applicants must be organized, communicate well with others, and have the ability to plan and prioritize tasks.
As a Fault Management Engineer...
* Your primary responsibility will be to own the design, development, and testing of fault management systems allocated throughout the spacecraft and ground elements
* You will work with other systems engineers to determine the fault management architecture based on mission constraints and objectives
* You will collaborate with reliability engineers to analyze and identify faults to be protected against
* You will engage with spacecraft subsystem leads and ground system leads to define fault management requirements
* You will document the fault management design to prevent, detect, isolate, and recovery from fault conditions that upset nominal operations
* You will verify the fault management design through system-level testing
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
* A BS degree in Systems, Aerospace, Engineering, or a related scientific/technical discipline with 10+ years of experience in those areas
* Knowledge of fault analysis including detection, isolation, and recovery schemes and quantitative/qualitative reliability and risk assessment
* Experience in spacecraft flight hardware or flight software design, development, and test
* Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as a team leader
* Ability to articulate complex issues to decision maker
* If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
* Masters degree in Systems, Aerospace, Engineering, or a related scientific/technical discipline with 15+ years of experience in those areas
* Experience working as a fault management engineer
* Hold an active TS/SCI security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationâ€™s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLâ€™s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
*Primary Location:* *United States-*Maryland-*Laurel
*Req ID:* 20775