Senior Technician will report directly to the CEO and indirectly to the Lab Director.
The Senior Laboratory Technician is an integral role of the CLIA-certified testing laboratory for daily patient samples for pharmacogenetic and genetic disease markers testing. This is a hands-on position for a new genetic testing lab and candidate must be able to perform all facets of testing. Excellent opportunity for advancement and management of lab technicians. Responsibilities include the following activities:
- Receive and process genetic samples (cheek swab) from clients/doctors and clinics.
- Prepare samples for testing.
- Calibrate, standardize and maintain instruments following established procedures.
- Perform quality control checks on laboratory equipment to ensure proper functioning of instruments, reagents and procedures.
- Recognize malfunction and out-of-control test results and take corrective action.
- Prepare reagents, standards and controls according to prescribed procedures.
- Check, monitor, and report laboratory supply inventory.
- Report adversely affected test performance and take corrective action.
- Follow the laboratory's procedures for sample handling/processing, test analyses, report and maintain records of patient's test results; maintain records that demonstrate proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens
- Adhere to laboratory's quality control policies.
- Document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
Duties & Responsibilities
Must be highly motivated and able to work independently.
Utilize correct laboratory processes, identify specimen grouping and labeling, and maintain clean and organized work area.
Update standard operating procedures, as necessary.
Provide required information and assist CLIA and other inspectors as necessary.
Remain up to date on new laboratory processes and procedures, and have the ability to understand, interpret, and convey technical information regarding laboratory specimen preparations and ensure accurate and timely end work product.
Responsible for weekly reporting to include daily sample counts.
Examine entered/accessioned data for accuracy and completeness.
Ability to multi-task with a strong attention to detail.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Ability to work under routine and stressful conditions in an accurate and timely manner.
- Degree, certification, and/or experience as laboratory technician or related area of study/experience
- Use and understanding of medical terminology
- Must be able to meet high quality standards, follow regulations, maintain confidentiality
- Problem solving and analytical skills and ability to analyze issues and articulate appropriate solutions to management
- Ability to consistently achieve daily/weekly/monthly activity goals
- Ability to multi-task with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work under routine and stressful conditions in an accurate and timely manner.
Ability to stand for extended time periods.