The Surgical Technologist, under the direction and supervision of the RN Circulator, assists the surgeon during an operation.
• Functions efficiently and professionally in all aspects of surgical care, both routine and special procedures.
• Applies the principals of asepsis in a knowledgeable manner. Differentiates sterilization methods required for specific instruments and equipment.
• Prepares, and know the specific uses of, all equipment and supplies used for surgical procedures.
• Demonstrates knowledge of the step-by-step progress of specific surgical procedures and displays dexterity in the use of the required instrumentation.
• Anticipates the needs of the surgeon to minimize the patient’s exposure to surgical and anesthetic states
• Identifies emergency situations and uses sound judgment in instituting established procedures to respond to emergencies in a calm, efficient manner.
• Integrates operating room services with the total hospital environment.
• Completes assigned duties during shift as evidenced by lack of unjustified overtime. Reports off to the appropriate licensed nurse at end of shift.
• Does not abuse sick or personal days. Maintains personal health, adheres to sick policy guidelines.
• Demonstrates neatness, cleanliness, and appropriate grooming. Adheres to dress code policy.
+ High School diploma or equivalent and education or training as a surgical technologist in an acute care setting.
+ Maintain a BLS certification.
+ Two years of relevant experience in an acute care setting. The Surgical Technologist must be able to demonstrate competency in the application of knowledge of anatomy and physiology in the use of surgical instrumentation, inventory management, surgical cases, and the proper handling of instruments within a sterile environment.
+ Performs related responsibilities as assigned.
External Company Name: Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center
External Company URL: http://www.gcrmc.org/