Tastes on the Fly Inc is an award winning food and beverage operator with approximately 21 locations across 4 airports: SFO, DEN, JFK and BOS. We are a healthy and fast growing company known for bringing city style and quality dining experiences to the airport environment. Learn more about us at www.tastesonthefly.com
This position reports to the COO and partners with area Directors. It is based out of our SFO offices but will hopefully grow to include all locations and require monthly travel. The role of the EHS Directoris to provide leadership and support in the areas of food and work place safety. This includes but is not limited to; management of and training related to health and safety programs, worker’s comp, non-workers comp accident’s, food safety and sanitation, safe work environments and safe work practices. This role, in coordination with HR and Ops directors, is responsible for creating and maintaining a positive workplace safety culture, proactive risk management, and minimizing accidents, injuries and illness in the workplace.
An inherent requirement of this role is the development of productive relationships with key persons including: HR, ops directors, managers, peers, subordinates, superiors, airport / airline administration, insurance carries, brokers and so forth. Effective relationships are, in a large part, achieved and maintained with earnest, consistent, timely, purposeful, clear and collaborative communication. This is a fundamental and intrinsic component for EHS manager success and is expected.
The EHSM must fully understand the Company’s philosophies and standards including commitment to our people and culture. This understanding and EHSM’s success is attained through their own skills, experience and desire combined with the tools, company philosophies, guidance and resources provided to them. The EHSM, as with all company employees, is encouraged to seek additional insight regarding goals, philosophies and standards as needed.
This position is fairly autonomous, but is one that requires a high degree of accountability, collaboration and communication. The EHSM is expected to exhibit excellent time and task management, sense of urgency, dependability, thoroughness and follow through.
Top candidates will have excellent training / presentation abilities for a variety of audiences, exceptional injury case management skills and outstanding organization and follow through. Food service, bi-lingual and prior employment with a workers comp carrier all pluses
Duties and Responsibilities
The following serves as an overview of specific points of accountability. Some items are those directly performed by the EHSM while others may be collaborative or delegated. Regardless, all are in the realm of the EHSM’s responsibilities, are a reflection on the EHSM, and will be considered in evaluating overall performance. While every effort has been made to clearly outline such duties, this list is not exhaustive and may be modified as company goals / need dictate:
- Champion a positive health and safety culture
- Utilize and support current safety programs policies and procedures, ensure location adherence to such. Proactively identify opportunities for improvement in all areas of health and safety compliance performance and training
- Develop and suggest and integrate improved safety programs and policies and procedures
- Workers Comp management
- Review all workers comp incidents. Investigate and assistant in managing all individual claims. Partner with carrier and broker to ensure timely best practices are followed on each incident
- File claims with WC provider as appropriate and act as liaison between location management and carrier
- Maintain all proper reporting practices including CAL OSHA
- Lead accident and incident investigation uncover root cause, develop corrective measures and track completion of corrective actions
- Maintain excellent relationship with WC advocate (through broker) and partner for exceptional case management and resource utilization
- Track incidents by location and type. Maintain accounting of current status of each case.
- In coordination with HR and management, facilitate return to work program for wc and non-wc injuries.
- Monitor location safety and risk, including food safety, health inspection preparedness, employee work practices, general cleanliness and repair and maintenance issues. Conduct monthly inspections, report on deficiencies and follow up on resolution
- Monitor food safety certification adherence. Coordinate various classes and resources to fulfill certification goals for staff and managers
- Track, analyze and report safety performance results and follow through with respective department managers and employees on all safety related suggestions and feedback
- Oversee and improve safety programs including HACCP and IIPP. Provide ongoing training as necessary. Ensure adequate safety training is provided to all new hires. Ensure effective use of monthly safety training topics. Coordinate and participate in Qtrly safety meetings. Ensure location safety teams are fulfilling duties.
- Provide Qtrly reporting to CPO regarding WC performance
- Coordinate with DOO to review and assist in managing all non-WC workplace accidents. Report to liability carrier as necessary
- Ad Hoc reporting and projects related to employee health and safety
- Ensure thorough and timely responses to internal and external business correspondence
- Prepare documentation and appear in legal proceedings, as necessary
- Timely, consistent and transparent communication to CPO regarding all areas of responsibilities.
Leadership / Embodiment of Company Philosophies and Vision
- Understand your appearance, behavior, attitude and communication style are all reflective on the entire organization. Lead by example in these areas. Serve as a role model by consistently demonstrating high standards in these areas
- Maintain consistent attendance which conforms to the mgmt. attendance policy.
- Understand and promote Company philosophies and visions including those which have been formalized and those expressed to you by Company Officers
- Able to pass FBI criminal background check and airport security badging process
- Able to travel as needed, up to 10 days per month except in special circumstances
- A combination of formal education and work experience that has provided the skills and knowledge for Employee Health and Safety management including but not limited to:
- EHS Performance management
- Providing effective training in small and large groups
- Excellent communication skills including professional verbal and written communication
- Moderate to high level of computer skills including, word, excel, power point, email and internet
- Excellent time & task management
- Experience in workers comp incident investigation and claim management
- HCAPP / IIPP experience
- Restaurant or food production experience
- Positive / approachable leadership and coaching style with ability to connect with people
- Flexible Availability
- Able to regularly work 50 hours / generally Mon – Friday
- Willingness to be available during non-scheduled hours if there is a time sensitive need
- Willingness to devote necessary time in pursuit of goals